The A-League Pub Quiz - BYO Cup holders

Did an impromptu A-League ‘pub’ quiz with some mates over the weekend, and found it pretty fun. Would be anyone up to do this on a weekly basis. I’m thinking I’ll post 10 questions on a Friday sometime, PM me your answers, and I’ll upload the results on Sunday night.

Standard pub rules/honour system applies. No googling the answer, give it a good crack if you really don’t know you can pass (on no points awarded).

Questions will be A-league and Sydney FC related.

I think it could be fun.

6 Likes

Why dont you try one of the appls/websites for quizes, some of them are quite good

1 Like

If it takes off and there’s interest, I can install a quiz module on the main site for it.

2 Likes

I’d be up for a weekly quiz

2 Likes

I’m keen!

Me too

Always keen for a quiz but honestly think I’d get tired of just A-League questions after a few times around.

Rightio, let’s kick it off with some fairly straight forward questions. Let me know if you need them to be more challenging. If this does kick off and become a popular thread, I’ll look to expand the questions to not just Sydney FC/A-League, but W-League, Australian and Global Football questions as well.

Remember - All of this in good faith. So no googling/Wikipedia-ing the answers. If you’re not sure, give it a stab anyway. You never know just like your lotto numbers you might be right.

Rules and point scoring is fairly simple. 1 point per correct answer. Questions with Bonus Points accruing an extra point per answer. I.e. ‘How many managers have Sydney FC had?’
A: 9 (1 point)

However, if you listed all 9 correctly, you’d wind up getting 10 points for the question. :slight_smile:

I’ll accept answers that are correct that may have spelling mistakes (because Mierzejewski isn’t that easy), unless it’s so badly spelled that I have to chuck it into Google translate to see if that helps. Any questions where the answer may be Kevin Muscat, I’ll accept ‘Cunt’ or ‘The Cunt’, as an acceptable answer. :wink:

PM your answers over the weekend by 9pm Sunday night, and I’ll chuck up the winners and losers shortly afterwards.

Question 1: Who is the all-time leading goal scorer in the A-League? (1 bonus point for correct goal number)

Question 2: Who has the all-time most appearances in the A-League? (1 bonus point for correct number)

Question 3: : Name 3 Sydney FC players who have been capped at a senior international level whilst at the club. (3 point answer)
1)
2)
3)

Question 4: Which club was the first to sign a player from Switzerland
(1 Bonus point – name him)

Question 5: What is the current highest scoring A-League match? (1 point for correct score, 1 Bonus Point to name the teams)

Question 6: : In Season 2005-06, who received the first ever Red Card in the A-League?

Question 7: Vitezslav Lavicka started his second season at Sydney FC poorly, recording 0 wins from the first 10 games. With his neck on the line, what did he promise he would do if Sydney beat Perth Glory in round 11?

Question 8: During the 2010-2011 season, the Brisbane floods affected Suncorp Stadium (then home ground of Brisbane Roar) severely. Where did Brisbane Roar move their home games too until they could play at Suncorp again?

Question 9: Who Am I? Born in 1973 in North Queensland, I started my career as a young lad making my name in the old NSL with Marconi Stallions. I would go on to make over 100 appearances for the club, before departing for England. In the UK, I would play for Leicester, Wolverhampton and a brief stint with Walsall. I also had a successful stint in the J-League, before returning home to the newly founded A-League where I would sign for Sydney FC. A fan favourite, I’d go on to win 2 Championships and 1 Premiership with Sydney, before moving into a managerial career, where I still am today.

Question: 10. Name the 4 players that were tied on 8 goals for the inaugural season’s golden boot (1 point per player).
1)
2)
3)
4)

5 Likes

So it turns out this hasn’t gathered as much interest as I’d hoped it would, with only 4 forumites messaging me through their answers over the weekend. I’ll run it for a few weeks and see if it garners any more interest, otherwise I’ll put a pin in the balloon, and let it die a natural death.

Answers:

Q1: Who is the all-time leading goal scorer in the A-League? (1 bonus point for correct goal number)
A1: Besart Berisha - 142 across Brisbane, Melbourne Victory and Western United. Broken down - 48 for Brisbane, 68 for Melbourne Victory, 26 for Western United.

Q2: Who has the all-time most appearances in the A-League? (1 bonus point for correct number)
A1: Andrew Durante - 358.

Q3: Question 3:: Name 3 Sydney FC players who have been capped at a senior international level whilst at the club. (3 point answer)
Correct Answers Given: Rhyan Grant, Sasho Petrovski, Andrew Redmayne, Mark Milligan, Brett Emerton, Alex Brosque, Brandon O’Neil.

Incorrect: Mark Rudan.

Q4: Which club was the first to sign a player from Switzerland
(1 Bonus point – name him)
A: Remo Buess - Queensland Roar, 2005.

A couple of you put Richard Kitzbichler (Melbourne Victory). Close, he is from Austria, just next door. Fun Fact, apparently an assistant coach now at Southampton.

Q6: In Season 2005-06, who received the first ever Red Card in the A-League?
Richie Alagich (Adelaide United) v Melbourne Victory, Round 3.

Q7: Vitezslav Lavicka started his second season at Sydney FC poorly, recording 0 wins from the first 10 games. With his neck on the line, what did he promise he would do if Sydney beat Perth Glory in round 11?
A: Climb the Harbour Bridge. Vitezslav Lavicka has a fear of heights. Which he did so when we beat Perth Glory 3-0

Q8: During the 2010-2011 season, the Brisbane floods affected Suncorp Stadium (then home ground of Brisbane Roar) severely. Where did Brisbane Roar move their home games too until they could play at Suncorp again?
A: Gold Coast/Robina.

All but 1 of you got this correct.

Q9: Who Am I? Born in 1973 in North Queensland, I started my career as a young lad making my name in the old NSL with Marconi Stallions. I would go on to make over 100 appearances for the club, before departing for England. In the UK, I would play for Leicester, Wolverhampton and a brief stint with Walsall. I also had a successful stint in the J-League, before returning home to the newly founded A-League where I would sign for Sydney FC. A fan favourite, I’d go on to win 2 Championships and 1 Premiership with Sydney, before moving into a managerial career, where I still am today.
A: Steve Corica.

Q10: Name the 4 players that were tied on 8 goals for the inaugural season’s golden boot (1 point per player).
1) Alex Brosque (Queensland Roar)
2) Bobby Despotovski (Perth Glory)
3) Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory)
4) Stewart Petrie (Central Coast Mariners)

End of Round 1 standings:

Position Forumite Correct Answers Bonus Points Overall Points
1 dibo_returns 9 0 9
2 BlueSky 9 0 9
3 Hybrid 8 0 8
4 b0b_444 6 0 6

I know I said I’d make the first round questions easy, but I must admit I probably made it quite challenging making you all cast your minds back to the old days of 2005-2006. I thought the first two were fairly gettable (didn’t expect much joy on the bonus points part).

The Vitezslav Lavicka question was probably the toughest question. For some particular reason, I remember reading about him climbing the harbour bridge and actually going through with it, so for some reason that stuck with me as a bit of weird trivia knowledge. I thought one person might have gotten it, but nobody did. Although there were some amusing answers provided.

The who am I question was pretty easy I thought. Thought I’d keep that one simple.

Anyway, I’ll do another one on Friday after I come home from work and see if more people join in. Please feel free to add suggestions for questions, do you want more Sydney FC related questions, or more A-League related questions? Do you want me to branch out and include general Australian football related questions?

5 Likes

Argh I was out this weekend and so forgot to return to this. Will definitely have a go next weekend

1 Like

Yeah ditto I’ll definitely be in next week

1 Like

Likewise, I worked out my answers after much thought, and forgot to put them in last night. Will try again this week.
Thanks for your effort.
I found the level of difficulty definitely hard enough.

1 Like

I felt there was a good balance of easier and trickier questions that stretched my brain enough. Definitely keen to do some more! Great work on the first set of questions.

3 Likes

wanted to do this one as well! Can I suggest having it up during the week though? I’d prefer doing it during work as I like to keep focused on the weekends…

2 Likes

Keen for the next one as well, was just flat out and not been in the forum much.

2 Likes

I can try putting them up on a Thursday night?

Or would putting them up on a Monday night and answers on Friday night be better for everyone?

Thursday night would be great IMO.

Did half of them but forgot to finish and send. I’ll be up for the next one

What was the answer to this one, Nath?

Question 5: What is the current highest scoring A-League match? (1 point for correct score, 1 Bonus Point to name the teams)