The Computer Thread

This is the closest to a tech thread I can see,

Anyone looked at the Lumibee?

mylumibee.com

So narrowed down my issue to the fact that the thermal glue was incorrectly applied. CPU is running at 90C with 0.7V. Watched it downclock in BIOS… Such a stupid mistake :frowning:

Is that 90C and 0.7V at idle? 0.7V looks like an idle voltage, usually they ramp up to 1.3-1.45V when under load, but that temp is way too high for idle.

FYI Seeing the clock speed drop the BOIS isn’t much of an indicator because there’s no processes running, so Intel speed step will downclock the CPU and voltage to save power when idling, when you run a stress test or game the clock speed should boost up to the maximum frequency (for instance my CPU idles at 1.6GHz, boosts to 4.8GHz under load).

So the temp was at 90C after gaming for a few hours. I then switched off and came back a few hours later and temp went straight up. It was the same voltage for both times, only the second time it dropped as the temp went up

I can’t imagine a more boring request than this but I want to add a Bluetooth receiver to the PC I put together a few years back thinking I’d never need Bluetooth. Is there anything to look out for or do I just buy the cheapest option possible?

I’ve got a couple of Orico ones and they work great. I bought one from Officeworks and it was the biggest piece of shit ever, it kept disconnecting.

Thanks. Is it a card connected to the motherboard or a USB one? If the USB ones are alright I might go that route and save myself the hassle of opening the case.

I just bought USB ones. Pretty sure they make PCIE WiFi+bluetooth cards of you did want to go for an internal one.

I’d just go for USB assuming you don’t mind having one constantly in use. Toffee is right though, they make PCIE Wifi and bluetooth cards and the prices aren’t huge. Can get a cheap one for $25

Thanks both of you. I don’t really want to replace my WiFi card so looks like it’ll be USB for. Luckily this thing seems to have like 45 USB ports.

Just a quick one, so i’ve upgraded my GPU, RAM and fixed my cooling fan, but i’m finding that I still have a bottle neck in the CPU. I’ve done some research and for $300, the Intel Core i5-9600K looks like it’s a pretty good buy for the price. Any thoughts? I’m just trying to avoid purchasing a new mother board and it’ll be replacing a Intel Core i5 7600

Might need to check your motherboard compatibility with that CPU. Same socket type but you’ll usually need to flash the BIOS to support the next revision of CPU, 2 CPU revisions might be pushing it.

everything i’ve looked online has said that it’s compatible, although may contact ASRock to confirm just to be safe

Is this the motherboard you’re using?
https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/fatal1ty%20b250%20gaming%20k4/#CPU

Looks like the ASRock 200 series only supports 6th and 7th gen. With 300 series supporting 8th and receiving updated firmware to support 9th. Might want to confirm.

Edit:

Here’s a great rundown of current CPUs, it has gaming benchmarks for your i5 7600 and the i5 9600k. Your i5 is definitely starting to show its age, you might be able to pick a up a cheap i7 7700k on ebay, depends on if you’re willing to throw $300+ at an end of life CPU.

1 Like

I’m going to go out on a limb and be honest in what I hope is a safe space without any judgement.

During lockdown I have become deeply addicted to Microsoft Flight Simulator X, specifically flying the Boeing 737 between capital city airports (Hobart to Canberra run - oh yeah). I have never been a gamer so want to know if I can upgrade an HP all in one (27 i7 7700R CPU 8GB RAM) to play Flight Simulator 2020 using an external GPU. I believe this is the limiting factor - bought the computer for emails and running Xero so recognise its the wrong tool for the job. Cant justify a new PC for this.

Separately, adults pilot hat recommendations?

1 Like

Does your PC have a Thunderbolt port (or USB-C port with thunderbolt support)? GPUs transfer data via PCIe so a standard USB port wont work unfortunately.

Sorry I can’t comment on the PC stuff. There is (at least last time I checked) a proper Flight Simulator at Darling Harbour you can hire for some insane fee. In the attached shop though they have lots of aeroplane merchandise to buy including Qantas hats. Might be able to find something decent there

Generally the all in ones don’t allow for upgrades. I had one that was donated to me by my dad and tried playing around with it but it didn’t have anything that allowed me to do so. Unfortunately you may be out of luck. All in ones range from being a bitch to upgrade or just impossible…

You can try the PCIe/USB work around, but you need to check how much power you have in the computer, plus the general recommendation is to purchase an external case for the GPU plus the card. Could set you back up to $1K depending on the graphics card, although the minimum specs for MFS X have a GeForce 6800 which goes for less than $100. A decent case could go for around $500.

There’s some pretty cheap gaming computers out there that you can buy for $600-$800 though which might make more sense. Have a look on Scorptec, PC Case Gear, they sometimes have some good deals. PC Case has also always been good with assistance when you email them.

Should shell out for a gaming PC and jump on MS Flight Simulator 2020, it’s absolutely crazy what they’ve manage to pull off with that game.

1 Like

My brother is obsessed with the game. A few years back he did a flight from Sydney to LA in real time. Took off at night, switched in that auto pilot and went to sleep…

2 Likes