The greatest moral challenge of our generation thread

Also interesting that climate is now the Coalitions version of gun control, they’re using that ‘thoughts and prayers’, ‘now is not the time’ rhetoric.

Until regional people stop voting for the Nationals, it’s not going to get better

1 Like

Even the CSU polling station here in Bathurst was majority Nationals at state and federal elections this year.

It boggles my mind.

1 Like

Our kids are gonna laugh at how dumb we were in future. This shit is ridiculous.

2 Likes

All states and territories across Australia have eliminate single-use plastic bags except NSW.

When asked why NSW was yet to ban the bag, an EPA spokeswoman said their focus was on programs which resulted in litter reduction such as the Hey Tosser! Cigarette butt campaign and the container deposit scheme.

Here’s how to contact the Minister and make them take action!

1 Like

Obviously I am all over this thread but always wondering what else I can do.

I’ve started looking into ethical investing on the ASX further - things like BetaShares Australian Sustainability Leaders or looking for listed renewables companies that are worth buying into.

There’s also a tool at Market Forces to see if/how much your bank lends to polluting projects. Worth checking out, may even prompt people to move their banking away from the big four (who are rubbish anyway IMO): https://www.marketforces.org.au/info/compare-bank-table/

1 Like

Use that tool quickly before Scummo makes it illegal.

1 Like

On the financial front, i was looking at switching over to Bank of Australia as they seem to be the leaders in ethical investing etc. I have such a deep mistrust of banks and marketing campaigns though that im still undecided

1 Like

I’ve been looking into them as well. Them or ME Bank look like they align with my values, but will make a decision when I have some down time in the next few weeks.

I switched over to the Bank Australia and never looked back. Do it. Here’s why you should all get onboard

1 Like

Agreed. Just do it. I put together an ethical investment portfolio a few months ago as my first foray into the stock market - suffice to say I’m pretty pleased that shares in Australian Ethical have almost doubled since then!

2 Likes

If you want an easy way, Raiz an app based managed fund with a phone app, has an excellent ethical investing portfolio, currently outperforming the other, non-ethically filtered, portfolios.

I think Spaceship has one too.

2 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-13/sweden-s-central-bank-ditches-bonds-issued-by-major-polluters

Good news and there will be plenty more of this.

4 Likes

Bought shares in AEF today and divested my shares in fossil fuel companies this week as well.

2 Likes

Worth reading for the people who think there’s no difference between the Coalition and ALP:

3 Likes

There is a difference on climate policy. There isn’t a difference in the general levels of self-serving and incompetence.

Was there ever actually a time where people in public service, you know, just had the best interests of the public in mind? I feel like there was, but in hindsight maybe I was just too young / naive to realise the sad truth that comes with middle-aged jadedness.

I think the past six years shows a maliciousness and vindictiveness when it comes to the environment that we don’t have time for and also, for the supposedly economy-focused party is squandering an unbelievable economic opportunity for Australia.

We can and should be a renewable energy superpower. As long as the Coalition is in charge, we are absolutely going to miss that opportunity.

2 Likes

Do you mean people in public service or people in politics?

Public Service? There might have been an argument that they served the public interest. But then the upper echelons started becoming political appointments.

I work with civil servants every day, the overwhelming majority want to do the right thing by the public, a small minority don’t give a fuck. Secretaries and Deputy Secretaries are by and large apolitical.

3 Likes