The travelling circus: stadia discussion

Looks like construction is finally underway. Completion date another matter.

1 Like

what a shit show this is turning into

Watching Brighton v Palace this evening. Nice looking ground finished in 2011 for 90 odd million pounds. Holds 30k. Also mentioned this awesome little nugget

1 Like

Did they use child slave labour? That seems very low. Bankwest was around the 500M AU mark was it not?

Polish or some other flavour of Eastern European labour would be my guess.

Its going to fun next year when everyone starts complaining about construction costs in the UK going through the roof for some unknown reason

1 Like

That light? At the end of the tunnel? Is it a … ?

TRAIN!!!

Not on a Sunday, trackwork sees to that.

2 Likes

The stadium in Wellington has beer from a local craft brewery which I believe we’re brewed specifically for the stadium (the have a lager and a pilsner and I recall reading somewhere that they were well matched to watching live sport).

There’s some interesting stuff in here about the NRL trying to strong arm the government into investment in boutique stadia across Sydney:

It also notes that the stadium construction is around 6 months behind schedule. I wonder if we could now be spending the 22/23 season in suburban grounds as well.

Just watching the MLS here in the USA and the LAFC stadium is fantastic - 22,000 with the home end, ridiculously steep and all safe standing.

Oh to dream

3 Likes

Wow. Does the top tier come with oxygen masks? That looks high.

looks like it’s been dug into the ground?

The pitch for most fully-enclosed stadiums is below ground level. Allianz was for example.

1 Like

On another note, you hear all these stories about the dodgy practices with regards to American stadium building. Especially with stealing money/overstating costs and using government grants that shouldn’t technically be applied etc.

Sports rorts???
But, but but I thought that was our thing!

2 Likes

It gets better for the Sky Blues faithful, and worse for their cross-town counterparts - there’s every chance they could be holding aloft a different trophy at Parramatta later this year.

Bankwest and ANZ Stadium have been earmarked as the venues for the A-League grand final on the weekend of May 16-17, should Sydney FC lock in hosting rights.

But ANZ would only be used if a high-drawing opponent necessitated the use of the 83,500-seat Olympic Park venue over Bankwest’s 30,000-strong capacity.

Of the teams still in realistic finals contention, only the Wanderers fit that bill - making the prospect of an A-League decider at Parramatta very, very real.

1 Like

Bankwest is the only realistic option imho. Would be rocking as well for a decider if we host

1 Like

As someone has said previously they’d be peeling our stickers off for the next decade.

6 Likes

Suprised no one mentioned the NRL Fox ad. Has Barnsey in the dustbowl of the great SFS.

1 Like