"Time to kick ass and chew bubblegum ..." - The Gamer Thread

Yeah I’m having fun with it too.

The Game pass on Xbox has been really pretty good value. Some great games on there, besides Gears and the other Microsoft first party games, Void Bastards and Outer Wilds have been enjoyable. I’m looking forward to Creature In the Well and Dead Cells, Hollow Knight and Steam World Dig 2 are fantastic games, if you missed them last year.

I played Steamworld Heist to death a little while back. Good mechanics and a lot of personality is always a winning combination.

I want to give the card game thingo that’s set in the same universe a go but waiting for the price to drop a bit…

You have no clue how pissed I am about it. Have given up computer games for a while just cos of the disappointment. It astounds me that its apparently a known issue, but there’s zero support on it.

Thoughts on Fallen Order?

So far, I really like it. I like the challenge as much as I get frustrated by it. It definitely requires you take a Jedi mindset, rather than a Sith one. Hacking and slashing everything wildly is going to get you damaged or unnecessarily hurt most of the time. It’s as close as to a Dark Souls-like Star Wars game as you’re likely to see.

I’m not a fan of some of the world design, though. There’s only so many walls to run along and so many fans you have to use Slow on before it gets tedious, and I’m already at that point only a couple of planets into the story.

Im a fan of puzzle solving, wall running and climbing type games. Prince of Persia is one of my favourite game series of all times.

I agree that you cant slash your way through storm troppers or villains. However, you acquire better moves and more power as you progress, so I’ve been cutting them down much easier the further I get into it.

I’ve been playing on Jedi Knight difficulty, but I had to turn it down to story mode to get past a particular boss.

Got one of my nephews some modern Kings Quest on PS4 recently. Seems to be popular.

Anything else in the less killie more adverturing/quest type scenarios?

And what version of Gran Turismo is for PS4?

For yourself or for the nephew?

I just finished disco elysium which is very very story heavy but thoroughly enjoyable for a rpg/adventure game that’s just a bit different. No combat mechanics at all, all resolved via dialog tree and a rather adult story involving an amnesiac drug and alcohol addicted detective in a noir/twin peaks style setting, so unlikely suitable for the nephew unless hes in his 20s probably.

If you do give it a go, you gotta be ready to read and devote some time to it though… and don’t look up spoilers, though one or two spoiler free reviews will help you decide if its something you want to try.
Be happy to fail some checks as well.

Nephews, year7/8 and tear 5/6?

Cheers thou.

A couple of options I can think of. One would be Spiderman if they’re into the whole superhero thing. It has a fair bit of fighting against enemies but it’s non lethal. The violence is also quite cartoony and there’s no, or at least not much, blood.

Monster Hunter World might also be one. The point of that game is that you hunt these big monsters and while that means there is violence in them, you don’t fight people (at least from what I remember). It’s not a visceral violence though (the game is rated M). It’s a big fantasy game as well if it seems they are into fantasy.

1 Like

JEDI FALLEN ORDER.

It is literally like the worlds best videogame.

/I have spoken

2 Likes

Jedi Fallen Order is the best game since RDR2 for me. However, I finished it in a week. I would have liked a bigger game. I could go and find the collectibles, but I don’t care about that stuff.

It feels big enough playing it on Jedi Master or (if you like to torture yourself) Jedi Grandmaster difficulty. The monster boss near the end of the first chapter on Dathomir is astonishing and I’m about to go back there for a second chapter, so have obviously not finished the game yet.

Inb4 EA release paid DLCs for extra planets or some bullshit to scrounge every last cent out of the game. It’s good to see they’ve released a game worth the hype, though.

30 secs into a review and it looks like a killie game. After the bullshit that is Fortnight and the Christchurch thing, less killie, less 1st person shooter, more adventure puzzle solving.

1 Like

Unravelled 2 is good for those ages, some puzzle solving and the 2 player is great. Looks nice too

Stardew Valley, imo.

It’s a lovely game. Available on everything. My kids loved it, so did I.

Sorry what?

1. I know there’s no connection

2. Very, angry, unsociable nephews, addicted to Fortnight and very angry and frustrated because they keep getting their butts kicked because they’re kids on one of those massive online player games. Noticable change in demeanour for the good after that game got packed away permanantly.

3. Did you see any of the CHC footage? Just from the car to the mosque door will do it. Now compare it to a first person shooter.

4. Whether you agree with me or not, I’m asking for recomendations for games that are kill fest, first person shooters. I can find kill fest, first person shooters just by walking into EGB as that’s all they seem to stock here.

5. Whats the current Gran Turismo for PS4?

Totally understandable. I just didn’t understand what you were saying.

FWIW, I agree. Young kids do not need to be playing violent games. It’s just that the Christchurch shootings aren’t really a primary reason, in my mind.

I am always bemused by parents that pay strict attention to to movie ratings but don’t care if the kids play MA15+ or R18 games!

1 Like

I think CHC was a trigger for my sister and BiL to shit can the game. It would be more correlaton than causation. And I found Kings, Space and Police Quest and Leisure Suit Larry more enjoyable back in the day than the last time I had a PS and a GTA game.

I think I chucked that in after having to kill 16 people in one building too many times.

Gran Turismo Sport.

1 Like