We're only human: the VAR thread

I admit, I was pro VAR at the start but it’s pissing me off now and I wouldn’t be sad to see it go.

1 Like

I’m pro the idea of var but very anti how it’s been done

Can we get rid of the Beath cancer that has been gnawing at the game’s image and credibility for far too long while we’re at it?

Given we’ve taken to importing yet more officiating dross in the form of Alireza “feel free to do as you wish in the first half of games because I only bring my cards out for the second half” Faghani, I can’t see any relief there.

Looks like we are for it

Boooooo!!! Shit club has gone to shit!!

TWG has really become trash hasn’t it? Completely unprofessional outrage-merchant garbage.

2 Likes

Tony Pignata suggests we should not cancel VAR this season because we started the season with it. But he forgets we implemented it in the final couple of rounds of the 2016/17 season.

Im not sure of the outrage of us supporting VAR??? We clearly love it, as it’s run by Sydney FC in an effort to ensure we win the league each year so we can continue our agreement with Bill Gates to set up a 5G tower each time we score.

3 Likes

If we can have VAR and not have people being deemed offside by 2mm then I’m all for it.

The problems with VAR were entirely predictable from the experience of other sports.
Since ‘clear and obvious’ is impossible to define, the referees do the other thing and use the technology to its limits so they aren’t criticised for missing things. As a result, instead of arguing about a foot, you’re arguing about an inch. It doesn’t eliminate controversy or stop endless debates about referring decisions. The game had found the solution to the only real problem: you can’t have a ball being two feet over the goal line in a World Cup match but a goal not given. The solution is to reduce as much as possible the cost of goal line technology and get rid of VAR.

While other competitions, such as Japan’s J.League, have abandoned the controversial VAR amid the pandemic, O’Rourke said the A-League was committed to using it throughout the rest of the season, and hopeful of having VAR communications played on the live broadcast. Sources have told the Herald , however, that the use of VAR is not set in stone and could be nixed by cost blowouts relating to the hub model, if interstate teams are needed to be relocated sooner than originally budgeted.

And the VAR is gone for the restart but may be back for finals:

Fair call I guess. Will be interesting to see fan reactions during play when calls are missed vs increasing the flow of the game

It will take a while to unlearn the VAR anxiety after a goal is scored.

1 Like

Bin it forever.

2 Likes

Woah this is huge!

Good

Most likely many people will whinge for it to come back. We’re football fans, after all!

1 Like

Yeah I was going to say how will this fit in with the Sydney FC FFA lizard men conspiracy. Since VAR helps us win games, yet not having the VAR helped us win games in the past?