Western United Thread

It’s a long term strategy,it could be a success.All depends on how the population that lives within reasonable distance embraces the game.AFL dominates Vicco,round ball is dominated by Victory.

Both City and WU will battle for the scraps I’d guess.

This is the start of the road they announced the start of 6 months ago

1 Like

“Good news everyone, we’ve bought the hard hats”

6 Likes

So, how’s that stadium build going?

lol

6 Likes

I have to admit I’ve not been paying such close attention to the rest of the competition this season, but it is genuinely shocking to see WU with guaranteed finals football and in touching distance of a premiership at this stage of the season. As far as I can tell the prevailing view at the start of the season was that Aloisi is a nice bloke but a donkey coach and sack race contender. So what gives? Are they actually good? Did we just have Aloisi wrong?

Edit: For reference, the collective wisdom of this forum predicted them finishing 8th this season.

1 Like

I reckon it’s as simple as their horrific end to last season under Rudan highlighted the areas that needed attention for Aloisi, and they’ve recruited really well to improve them.

Lacroix is a beast, Jamie Young has been excellent, and they haven’t had Diamanti being a defensive passenger for large chunks so they’ve been incredibly hard to break down and racked up a stack of clean sheets. Add in one of the best two foreign 9’s in the comp in Prijovic and viola, they’ve been 1-0’ing the entire comp.

Risdon (although now injured) and Garuccio have also been in just about career best form.

They also have the biggest wage bill in the league.

Shame they don’t have any fans

That’s interesting, where was that reported?

Or an identity.

Or a home.

Or a coach?

I’ll take the odds on Aloisi being appointed Socceroos coach when Arnie is sacked/resigns on the eve of the final qualifiers

I’d laugh my arse off if Aloisi got a shot at the Socceroos job before Popovic or Muscat.

God - those three names being mentioned makes my skin crawl

1 Like

I would wholly imagine the FA would revert to a foreign coach post Arnie.

1 Like

Why? Muscat I understand.
Poppa is a good coach whose main sin has been to make stupid career choices panic jumping to ridiculously disfunctional clubs in Greece and Turkey.
Aloisi is a gent and has been developing into a very good coach. Not saying I would like him as national team coach - he’s no Guus - but who knows.

2 Likes

Pim, Holger and Bert is the standard of foreign coaches we can attract (possibly less without WC money). I don’t want a foreign coach over any of them.

This. Emotion aside Muscat has won trophies domestically and doing a decent job with Yokohama. Admittedly he inherited a good side but he has kept the standard going. Popovic has constantly won trophies domestically after sorting out poor sides but made poor overseas movies and had continental success. Aloisi has done a great job with Western United and despite some poor runs at Roar and Heart, he seems to have had the desire to keep working on it and that effort has worked out.

Right now I’d be saying Popovic would be the obvious choice if we went local (especially because of his record of turning sides around and cup success). The ranking would probably be 1. Poppa 2. Muscat 3. Corica (hed have been 2 if not for this season). 4. Aloisi 5. Talay. But I think only Poppa and Muscat would really be considered.

Poppa plays awful football and has shown zero interest in progressing his style over time.