World News-The US-Free Zone

The prisoner swap deal and “humanitarian pause” seems to have come off. Yesterday was Thai labourers from the settlements, today Israelis. 42 Palestinian hostages… sorry, administrative detainees in exchange.

One analysis I read argued this will be good for Israel militarily, but bad for Netanyahu’s leadership. But whatever comes next, at least some food and diesel is getting into Gaza.

Why were the Thais still detained.after over a month?

They are apparently a massive part of the work force in the agricultural sector over there. I don’t think they were specifically targeted so much as Hamas grabbed them opportunistically. It took a separate deal for the Thai government to negotiate their release. No announcement I’ve seen of what Thailand had to give Hamas for them…

So, acknowledging that Jewish people had terrible things done to them and that the IDF does terrible things to Palestinians is “Jew-hating obscenity” because if you criticise a state’s military for doing bad things to civilians, you must hate their religion, even if you have simultaneously acknowledged the bad things that happened to Jews? Why can’t I acknowledge bad done to Jews and Palestinians simultaneously?

Like I’ve said before, I’m not going to argue with Jewish people over what they consider antisemitism. From what I’ve seen, Jews don’t all have the same definition of it either. But I’m not going to like, what, shiksasplain it. All I do is follow my own moral compass.

Rounding up and killing Jews = Wrong and heinous
Displacing Palestinians and collectively punishing a densely populated area like Gaza = Wrong and heinous

3 Likes

Ah so they were administrative detainees as well.

1 Like

Just another day in the Soviet Uni-…Russia.

Top Russian court bans LGBT movement as ‘extremist’ | Reuters

Also did anybody else have Brazil and Venezuela going to war with each other on their 2023 Bingo Cards?

Venezuela apparently voting to annex a part of Guyana, and Brazil’s moved Armour and troops to the border in response.

At least the early soviets decriminalised it. Wasn’t until the 30’s under Stalin that it was made illegal again. In the early 20th century I think the Soviets were one of the more progressive governments on that front (happy to be corrected).

1 Like

Not me. I have the feeling Maduro is about to make a huge mistake if he continues on this dangerous route. As you mentioned, Brazil are not going to let it slide and they have more armed forces, don’t they?

I wonder how much Putin is egging Venezuela on to do something. I’m pretty sure Venezuela have bought a decent number of Russian fighter jets in the last 10-15 years.

just had a quick look and yes, the Venezuelan air force would kick the Brazilian air force’s arse hands down. In saying that though, the nature of the warfare would be very different in a war, especially looking at the Ukraine war at the moment. You’d be more worried about AA than enemy aircraft. Just having a strong air force is no longer a guarantee on air superiority.

Venezuela are broke as fuck from what I understand as well. How many of those planes would be in any condition to fly?

Shows how much corruption can fuck a country up, even one that should be oil rich to a certain extent

So there goes the truce… reports are that Hamas wasnt able to locate any more od the low priority prisoners. Theyll be asking for more significant cocnessions in the next round to release Israeli men and soldiers

So Houthi rebels have allegedly managed to hit a US Navy ship in the Red Sea. The USS Carney is one of several US ships deployed to the area to provide air cover against Houthi rockets heading to Israel and security for shipping transiting through.

It’s already reported to have shot down multiple Houthi missiles in the last couple of weeks, but sounds like it was directly targeted and struck. Reports are vague at the moment as to how bad the ship was hit and casualties, but a pretty big development. America has stayed out of the Yemen civil war for the most part since it kicked off 10 years ago, content to let Saudi Arabia and the coalition of Arab states control the narative, but expect a response from the Americans on this.

As far as I can tell, the American Missile Destroyer wasn’t hit, but had to defend itself against a drone attack. It was a transport vessel that they’re investigating the damage to, after the USS Carney entered the area to protect it against the attack.

In other news, Israel has now expanded its field of operations to the entirety of Gaza. Apparently the truce talks ended after Hamas refused to release a specific group of female prisoners. Reading between the lines, the prisoners are either dead, missing or under the control of one of the other groups that is refusing to cooperate.

was reading an article about this the other day. The whole Venezuala thing is actually really interesting when you’re looking at the military side. Essentially the government needs the military to be onside, however they way they’ve done it, is that they’ve ensured that as many officers as they can are sympathetic or allied to the current regime. The problem with this is that it’s meant that there’s no focus on foot soldiers, so you now have a situation where there’s literally too many chefs in the kitchen, and the chefs are hired on a “who you know” basis, rather than on merit. They do have plenty of Russian and Chinese advisors in the country, but if it came to war, don’t know how successful they would actually be.

The crazy part is the fact that there’s so little connectivity between all three countries. There’s less than 10 roads linking all of them and they’re all through some mentally thick jungle, not exactly conductive to armoured assaults. Brazil definitely has the edge in terms of naval craft though.

Venezuela has always been a close ally of Russia. And it looks like they’ve modled their military in much the same way. Built on a web of corruption and incompetence.

I would be incredibly surprised if the yanks got hit by a drone in an active zone.

Venezuela has a shit load of oil but not much in the way of infrastructure to take advantage of it. America eases sanctions on them for 6 months ( lol ) so he decides to get someone elses oil instead. What an idiot Maduro is.

1 Like

Apparently Guyana has one of the highest GDPs in South America at the moment, thanks to the oil reserves they’ve discovered. Only issue is that all the money is going to only the rich people…

Is this fake news similar to:

I’ve followed CONMEBOL World Cup quification for some time and there’s definitely no South American country called Guayana.

(But really, it was embarrassingly late in my life when I realised that Guayana, Suriname and French Guiana exist… largely for the above mentioned reason).