World News-The US-Free Zone

Guyana would struggle to get a point against anybody in CONMEBOL. Even Bolivia are about 80th in the world. At least they have a good chance of getting a few wins in CONCACAF.

I wonder if there are other factors at play. Maybe there’s a risk of a coup attempt and this is his way of quietening certain nationalist voices. Obviously there are no facts to support it, but you do have to wonder.

It’s as simple as making America the enemy, givjng yourself justification to rule with an iron fist

I would not blame the people of any Latin American country for seeing the USA as the enemy.

Quite frankly, they are.

3 Likes

In a related note, could it be possible to change the title of the thread just a bit and make it “The USA-free Zone”

America is a lot more than just one country, as much as they like to believe they have ownership over the word. For everyone in every other country between the top of Canada and the southern curl of Chile, it’s a small change to make to push back against the USA and it means a lot to a huge number of people.

I would encourage everyone to try and reprogram your own thought process and stop saying “America” when you are referring to the “USA” - it is one small detail that will make a difference to someone, somewhere, and they will appreciate you for it.

3 Likes

The shit hole north of Mexico

Just drop the whole thing.

The US-centricity of “everything that isn’t USA is /r/worldnews” is jarring enough on a US website like Reddit. It’s honestly unfathomable here.

“World News” should be anything non-Australian.

2 Likes

I haven’t read this anywhere, that Hamas was asking for something more for the soldiers… sauce?

Will have to have a look again, but I read it on the CNN website

So I made this thread initially as it was during the US elections. The idea was that we wouldn’t have any other news from around the world swallowed up and forgotten while Trump was in power etc. Try as we might, the US specific thread actually gets a fairly large amount of hits, Jubal can do the maths, but unless there’s specific events like Israel or Ukraine, this thread is generally less used than the US one. As much as we may hate it, Australia is a Western Country that is heavily impacted by what occurs in the US.

I will change the title though so it’s specifically avoiding anything to do with the US rather than America.

2 Likes

The US politics thread gets 3 x the traffic that this one does, it would swamp any effort to combine it with anything else.

Where does US non-politics news go? Shouldn’t it be US-and-UK-and-Russia-and-Ukraine-Free to cover all the threads that already exist?

US non-politics news can go in a thread in bollocks since this is the politics subforum, or it can go in the US politics thread as 99% of all the news discussed here is centered around politics. (I get that subforum topics also appear in the main forum but the point stands)

This seems like pedantry for the sake of it, what is it that you are trying to achieve?

I’ve already explained why the US has its own thread in this section.

1 Like

Issue isn’t with a uspol thread existing (nobody is suggesting otherwise) but with the title of this one being jarringly and unnecessarily US-centric.

We spend enough time on an Internet which assumes that the English-speaking world is in USA as it is.

I’ve explained why the US is specifically called out, it’s a practical and very real reason. If that’s not good enough for you, mute the thread and we’ll all be happier.

Not really. You previously explained something that nobody suggested:

But yeah, apologies for expressing an opinion on the topic of the two preceding posts, and then responding to your direct question!

There is this thread for US based non political discussion.

say you’re a new poster and you have the desire to share your hot take on Trump with the world. Where are you going to post it? If it’s top of the list and USApol isn’t, you are likely to think “The World News/pol” thread is the best place. Thus the title. Makes sense to me.

This thread and the US politics one have been on the go for more than 5 years, I don’t understand why this has become an issue for you suddenly.

Let me put my explanation another way, the volume of posts in the other location specific threads do not represent a risk of overloading the world news threads, that is why they are not called out.

The thread title is much improved, cheers!

Another of the drizzlingly shit parts of Latin American politics, the awful reductive re-written re-write of the new Chilean constitution is coming up for referendum soon. Hopefully NO will comfortably win, but anything can happen in this ridiculous world.

It has way less public support than the previous highly ambitious constitution did (and which was easily voted down) so hopefully it sinks without a trace.

1 Like