A-League Expansion

Think it’ll be second Brisbane and one of Wollongong or Canberra

The quote from the story in the other thread noted

a 16-team competition via a regionally targeted expansion plan

So you would think all Cap city’s are out with the possible exception of Canberra.

I mean cities are still a ‘region’ so I feel like you can read it either way.

Nobody else in this thread seems to have mentioned it, but my vote would be for Wollongong and Canberra.

2 Likes

Irony appreciated.

I’d think Gong and Canberra are very sensible options along with a 2nd Qld side, probably in Brisbane.

That leaves the final option open for one of those more left-field choices such as Tassie, Fremantle etc. On this final choice I don’t have any view as to what would be likely to avoid folding within 5 years because I don’t know enough about this shit.

My self-indulgent long shot is a guest 16th slot for “Wogs United”* featuring a different ex-NSL side going around each season. Let Sth Melbourne, Marconi, Adelaide City,Melb Knights, SU58 Mooroolbark etc have their year in the sun every decade or two. The players’ pay might not always be on the time, but OMG IS THAT CEVAPCICI I SMELL GRILLING IN THE DISTANCE?? Every other week will be like FFA cup.

(*) No offense intended. I’m being like that Nick Giannopoulos. Which is actually pretty offensive when I think about it. Happy to rename if it causes offense to anyone.

In order, I would go Canberra, Tasmania, Wollongong, Gold Coast and a second team from Perth. Obviously this is one extra team which means I would get rid of Wellington. If that isn’t possible then they should pursue an 18 team comp and bring in a second Adelaide side.

1 Like

Gold Coast, really? It’s a graveyard, even for the bogan codes. I’d think 2nd Brisbane is far more viable.

1 Like

Why do people think a second team in Brisbane would work? The roar didn’t exactly draw huge crowds when they were winning…

Is there a north south or east west divide? Or would it be like Victory and City where one has an identity and the other just exists…

Roar did really well for the first few years of the league. They were often around 15k even before they became good. There was definitely a good vibe about it. The slide was really aligned to the ownership changes.

Brisbane people I’ve seen talking about it think it would work. They would just have to play out of Perry Park or Dolphin Stadium.

There’s only like 15-16m people in Australia living in urban areas of 200k+, and 1/7 of them lives in Brisbane. If you can’t find a viable geography or identity to build a team there then talk of 16 is completely absurd.

A Gold Coast side, backed by Football Gold Coast, would be far more viable than a 2nd Brisbane/Ipswich side.
The Roar have a very thorough junior talent identification & recruitment network setup all through Queensland. Anyone that makes their setup who lives more than 2 hours or 200km (can’t remember which one) from Brisbane is moved there and put through school free of charge. It would be very hard for a 2nd team from Brisbane to make inroads into their setup.
The Gold Coast & Northern Rivers of NSW fall outside of this to some extent. There are plenty of young kids in the Gold Coast JPL that could be absorbed into a GC youth setup. The big opposition might come from clubs like Magic & United who have NPL setups. They’re quite expensive to play for though so if there was no charge to play in their youth teams they could attract their better players.
As far as support goes, a proper Gold Coast side (not the Clive Palmer version) with local roots and ownership has a large participant base to draw from. Not only would they have the support from the Gold Coast they would receive strong support, providing they actively engage, from the FFNC playing area. There’s no engagement from Brisbane here and Newcastle barely even pay lip service.

I’m also of the opinion that, if Wellington stays, we need a second New Zealand team to make it worth anyone’s (WP, NZF, Sky NZ) while. I’d go across there offering spot #14 to Auckland City in exchange for a much improved NZ TV deal, and if we don’t get it we cut Wellington.

Canberra and Ipswich, then the gong and maybe tassie or nz

Two more Sydney teams and two more Melbourne teams seems the most sensible, if we really think we need 16.

I already did that gag.
If they go to 16 without Canberra and the Gong, I’m starting a riot.

I will be shocked if the next two clubs aren’t Canberra and a second Brisbane side. I suspect the jump to 14 teams will happen fairly quickly (all the clubs seem to acknowledge that getting to a balanced, 26-round home-and-away season is vital) but I can see teams 15 and 16 taking a lot longer, and it’s not obvious where they’d come from. I’d love for Wollongong to get a spot.

1 Like

Is there anywhere else in NSW we can squeeze more teams? We already have 4, with 1 more to come, along with suggestions of Wollongong and Canberra*. Surely we can squeeze a couple more? Out West like Dubbo or Tamworth, North coast like Coffs, Ballina, Port Macquarie. Let’s get all the next 4 teams in NSW!!!

*It’s within the NSW state boundaries.

I can only see Canberra and a second Brisbane team being the next two additions to get to 16. We’ll get to them pretty quickly (in football administrative timelines at least), then 17 and 18 might take a bit of work.

Gag?

5 teams in a city of 5 million or 1 team in a city of 200k? It’s just maths.

1 Like