ACL 2021 discussion thread

You prefer your :peach: :baguette_bread: another way?

Playing Korean, Japanese & Singapore clubs in Russia & Uzbekistan. Is this for real? Someone better tell the AFC delegation that seafood platters in Russia will probably be a delightful poached carp with sour cream.

Nah that Lokomotiv stadium is in Tashkent.
And Uzbekistan is pretty close to the Caspian sea and its famous Beluga Caviar.

1 Like

Am I reading this right? Australian teams won’t be competing in the ACL?

This states the GF is scheduled for the 26th, but no mention of us withdrawing from the ACL? Seriously?

Seems to be what he’s saying. AFC really fucked us with the scheduling in the first place, so it’s fair enough that we give their compthe respect it deserves. They really should be working with us to schedule games around the practicalities of our season and COVID constraints too; if they can’t just push the MD1/2 for Australian teams back then fuck them.

1 Like

That would be good, but Brisbane & Melbourne City are supposed to have play-offs starting 20 June as well. No idea how that would work.

1 Like

I’m already considering the logistics of flying to Victoria and back for a potential away GF the day before my dad’s birthday.

Drag myself to their place at noon on Sunday, “Happy 70th, Baba!”

Away semi? From the link you posted…

Sydney FC’s A-League 2021 Semi Final will be hosted at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium.

Potential big win from the de-coupling, FFA can continue to suck off the AFC en route to WC qualification, meanwhile the APL can tell them where to shove their seafood platters.

I meant the GF on the 26th. Hence the “potential” and “away in Victoria”.

Yeah, that’s some FM level scheduling right there. I get COVID makes life tough for scheduling, but that’s a bt of a joke.

I’m assuming we either tank the finals to send the strongest squad possible to Uzbekistan, or we send the NPL boys over for a bit of hit n giggle. I can’t see us wanting to tank the finals though.

I can’t see the AFC being too happy if we pull out. Isn’t there a punishment for both club and national confederation if we do pull out?

Aus teams will most likely be withdrawing from the ACL this year I hear. Seems like the AFC are allowing withdrawal of teams without punishment.

I believe there was some reporting earlier this year that it is a very significant fine to the point where it would be a huge blow to the clubs to not attend. Not sure about the national confederation though.

Ordinarily there would be a fine as well as suspension for one or more future tournaments. It sounds like they are actually allowing clubs to withdraw this time around which is surprising.

100% support us backing out. If a mate had a work gig in Uzbekistan right now you would laugh.

Doesn’t sound to me that we can pull out without implications

I’m surprised we haven’t been banned given our terrible vaccination stats.
I’m guessing no players have been vaccinated yet.

I really want us to win the ACL one day, but even participating this year is a bit of a piss take, so that dream can wait.