ACL MD1 - Yokohama vs Sydney FC - 19/02/20

Toughest game of the group up first. They beat Jeonbuk 2-1 last time around but were definitely the better team.

As always with ACL away games, I’ll take a draw.

After not playing for 2 weeks, what a great match to get rid of the rust …

Arse blast the rust away.

1 Like

Never liked or understood their stupid name.

Yokohama F****** Mariners, all your bases are belong to us!

It would be nice to see us really stick it up Ange and get a win. What is their defence like? I know they will probably have more possession but maybe we can make chances on the break.

Just based on their Jeonbuk game, the keeper was making a huge number of errors/ridiculous decisions but the rest of the defence was pretty solid.

That’s basically what we’ve been setting up for and playing like all season. Granted they are different level to a-league teams but still. We’ve been planning for this. Or so it seems.

It means “sailors” in Spanish. That and they merged with a team called Yokohoma Flugels which, being a team formed by an airline, adopted the name as it’s German for “wings”

Excited for this one! Interested to see how dynamic we can be without Ninko. Is Baumjohann back for this match? It goes without saying that we need a good performance. If we do, no reason why we can’t match them. I have found us to be slow from the start after our bye/spells this season, so can’t help but think the big gap may not help us here.

ABJ seems to be there based on his twitter.

On Yokohama, watched a few of their games over the last few months, theyre prone to a fuck up or two at the back if you press their defenders. If Kosta and Alfie work hard up front i think we can steal a win.

Seems wise to send him straight there from Germany, guess that would have been the plan all along given he would’ve been suspended for the derby anyways.

Hopefully his mind is back on the job, still think his better performances for us so far have been when Milos was out, if he can produce that level and release the two ahead of him we’re in with a shout.

1 Like

i saw a youtube video on the Sydney FC channel like 1 week ago at least, i think pre derby, and i swear i saw him back at training already even then, not sure if he was over there for that long (unless someone knows any better).

1 Like

I’ve forgotten what it’s even like to follow an A-League team.
We’re going to be rusty AF aren’t we?

1 Like

Yes,he was back training.I saw that.

1 Like

This is going to be tough to watch.

Back to doing match previews! Some rough reading in our stats against Japanese clubs and also our stats against Ange…

https://www.sfcu.com.au/2020/02/18/preview-yokohama-f-marinos-vs-sydney-fc-19-02-2020/

Expected line-up:

Previous Matches

Head-to-Head

These two clubs have never played

Sydney FC record against Japanese clubs

Wins: 0 (0%)

Draws: 4 (40%)

Losses: 6 (60%)

Sydney FC record in Japan

Wins: 0 (0%)

Draws: 2 (40%)

Losses: 3 (60%)

Records

Biggest ACL Win – 3 goals (2 times):

24/04/07 – Sydney FC 3 – 0 Persik Kediri

03/04/18 – Suwon Bluewings 1 – 4 Sydney FC

Biggest ACL Loss – 4 goals:

21/05/19 – Sydney FC 0 – 4 Kawasaki Frontale

Most Appearances in ACL – Brandon O’Neill (17)

Most Goals in ACL – Alex Brosque, Steve Corica (4)

Key Statistics

• This game will be Rhyan Grant ’s 17th ACL game, making him equal with Brandon O’Neill for most ACL games for the club. Grant’s first ACL appearance was in 2011 against Shanghai Shenhua.
  • Ange Postecoglou has coached against Sydney FC 11 times while in charge of Brisbane and Melbourne. Sydney have a record of 2 wins, 2 draws and 7 losses against Postecoglou.
  • Paulo Retre will be in line to play his 75th game for Sydney if he gets on the field.

Note: Appearances and goals only include league games, finals, FFA Cup, OFC and AFC Champions League and Club World Cup.

4 Likes

I think this is probably the best team we have had that can cause some damage in this comp

It’s going to be an enormous challenge for players like King and Retre.

King in particular. Yokohamas best player plays right wing and I’m very concerned about that particular duel.

I think we can win this, but they’re really going to have to tell our left side attacker (presumably Caceres) to drop and double up on Nakagawa otherwise he’ll kill us.

Will enjoy the joyful bliss pre-ACL when we think we’ll compete before an inevitable football lesson comes our way

6 Likes