AFL: The worst sport ever - AFLXtreme edition

Does he have ties to the Victory or is it just a Melbournian thing to do?

I believe western suburbs also enjoy frequent boycotts.

He was heart

Wasn’t there a Joffa on some football internets (442? TWGF?) back in the day? Same person?

Young bloke of Middle Eastern appearance from Arncliffe was on TWGF with a similar, if not the same, name.

great article here from Waleed Aly…

brilliant

… .present soccer violence as somehow inherent to the “foreign” cultures that support the game. Second, to exonerate the crowds of more quintessentially Australian sports whose violence and misbehaviour becomes scrubbed clean in the public imagination.

They have hooligans. We have larrikins. They should be surrounded by mounted police. We should be observed lightly and treated like adults.

Yeah that was a great read. Nice to see a paper in the VFL heartland showing the truth of VFL exceptionalism.

they’ll probably just ignore it saying Waleed is a foreigner & doesn’t understand 'Straya.

I think he’s a twat but that was a good read.

Waleed had better be careful lest a big mucho man gives him the manly pinchy pinchy treatment.

I think there was a missed opportunity to include some facts about arrests/incidents of violence and some actual comparisons of recent incidents (e.g. Rory being ejected by 10 police/security staff) to put things into perspective.

Good article, aside from this
“I’m not that kind of barracker”

which just made me weep

1 Like

The left is Victoria has a hypocrisy problem around Ozzie rules. Good to see Waleed Aly take steps to think through this properly.

What’s the go with all the low scores this year? I’ve noticed the total scores this year are lucky to break 110-120?

I read something saying it was because of the new kick-in rules where the players can choose to run an extra 20-30m before kicking, meaning the ball spends less time inside 50 and there’s no longer a chance of following up a behind with a contested mark and then a goal.

I don’t know anything about afl but a read an article saying that at some point.

DJ kahled voice another one

oh dear.

Boys will be boys.

Good ol’ Aussie larrikins

I liked this in the comments…

…if you attended VFL footy back in the 70’s and 80’s there were brouhaha’s going on everywhere between fans at the suburban grounds. Today’s melees at games are very minor and infrequent compared to fisticuffs in decades past…

Wasn’t that around peak complain time for all the effnik hooligans at the sokka?! All good at the VFL though mate.