Asian Champions League - Preview and Group H Discussion

My expectations are normally a few wins including a nice away win and not finishing last in the group.

2 Likes

Talk that Sydney and MV need to really perform this ACL or the AFC will look to relegate the A-League to 1 automatic spot.

Thailand now ranked above the A-League for performance…

Whatever the case, I hope our ACL performance overall is better than that of the Pure Evil down south.

Just like every other ACL year, we really need to start well. We’re much more match fit than the other teams in the group at this point and really need to impose ourselves on these games. It should, and probably will, get much harder as the group goes on and the other teams get their match fitness back.

I don’t buy that about match fitness. The flipside is the other side have had weeks or months to prepare for this game without other matches getting in the way. That first game last year was a good indicator. They knew exactly what they had to do to stifle us and were very well drilled to do that.

One of the joys of the ACL is the realisation that A-League referees are not the worst in the Asian Confederation.

1 Like

Of course they aren’t. Don’t you know Chris Beath is one of the best referees in the world?

Unfortunately, the Victory have just taken the lead against Daegu thanks to Toivonen.

Does anyone know the $30 two tickets password? seems to not be working when doing it auto on website like it says it should on our twitter.

Edit: Never mind, found the issue I had (poor vision)

Daegu equalise straight away. Cesinha with a screamer from outside the area. 1-1.

Due to Australia’s parlous state in terms of ACL spots in future, we unfortunately have an interest in them doing well.
Still, emotionally we have the usual interest in watching them being naive time and time again.

Didn’t see that thread until now. Can the thread title be changed? General Discussion is a bit misleading, to be honest, if we’re talking about just our group.

Yeah, fair point. Done.

1 Like

Thanks. Is it possible for me to move my two posts about the Victory game to that thread? Or do I need to ask an admin to do that?

I think the latter but you’ll be right leaving it there.

Half time in the other group game is 0-0. Shanghai are the home team in that tie.

Ultimately I guess that result would do us no real harm. I do think our best chance may come from Kawasaki romping the group and then we get enough points elsewhere to go through in second place.

I still prefer it stays scoreless.

Shanghai score a 89th minute penalty to beat Kawasaki

You can see the highlights from the other group game here:

It looks like SIPG had finishing as poor as ours.

Nice breeze last night!

I’ll take the 3/4 glass full view.

Only A league team undefeated in ACL!..made enough chances(like HAL).Running 2nd with 5 to go which is very much like the HAL.