Asian Cup R16: Australia vs Indonesia 28 January

Yikes feel for them conceding that after the start they made

I think you can safely say that goal was undeserved

Thatā€™s a particularly sucky for Indonesia but itā€™s not like weā€™re flush with goals and can be picky at the moment!

Jammy goal but weā€™ll take it. Hopefully that will settle our team and unsettle theirs. Definitely undeserved based on the first 10 mins or so.

Great to see so many Indonesian supporters travel there, too.

This is taking a familiar pattern to be honest. Indonesia attacking well, very active, frenetic even at times. Wouldnt be surprised to see that wane late in the half.

Itā€™s crazy that at the time of the draw Indonesia was the lowest-ranked team in the whole tournament, and even now they are #146, with only HK (I think) below them. Much, much better team than that.

Jones has been out of position to receive the pass three or four times this half so far, allowing it to go out of play. Heā€™s also given the ball up without any pressure. I just donā€™t see what he offers over even a mediocre A-League player.

I guess the question is whether Indonesia can keep this up over 90 minutes. But they look good and deserve their last 16 spot on this form.

Australia, on the other hand, continue to look poor technically. Fitness will likely see them through this one more than anything.

I know a lot of people will say that the FIFA rankings donā€™t matter, but a lot of that will be done to the fact theyā€™ve been suspended a couple of times at international level due to corruption and government interference.

Their recent history isnā€™t exactly flattering in terms of results.

Their most flattering result was a 6-0 win over Brunei. They got pumped 5-1 against Iraq in WCQ back in November.

Remember, they only finished third in their group. I daresay their performance this evening is more due to the fact that theyā€™re fired up for playing a team like Australia, and weā€™re playing kinda shit.

Also I didnā€™t realise it was THAT Jordi Amat at centre back for Indonesia. I remember watching him at Swansea, he was an enjoyable ball playing centre back back in the day.

Fornaroli is asking to be sent off going in like that.

1 Like

We need a second goal to put this game, and myself, to bed.

5 Likes

La la la la la la laaaa, we are the Sydnā€¦I mean, In-do-ne-siaaaaa!

That annoys me.

Itā€™s not deliberate contact, both players had eyes for the ball. Fornaroli has every right to challenge for that ball.

Footballā€™s a contact sport. The gameā€™s getting too over analytical on ā€˜dangerous challangesā€™. Look at Wood on Saturday night, prime example.

This. Weā€™re just asleep at the back.

ā€œThey collapse in a heap like two loversā€ was the sort of detailed poetic description I wasnā€™t expecting. Whereā€™s the slash fic of that?

3 Likes

Great cross and did great to get on the end of that.

1 Like

Yeah, Bruno, Iā€™d sit on Boyle too.
Sorryā€¦What? Iā€™mā€¦tired.

Great ball by Jones. Thatā€™s the best thing heā€™s done all tournament.

I thought Boyle headed the upright from the diving header, but it looks like he popped his shoulder out.

2 Likes

Lovely ball and goal that we didnā€™t really deserve again.

Hope heā€™s oaky