Australian Women’s National Team Thread - Our best chance at a World Cup

Also, I go on about it, but there was a clear 6 v 4 at one stage and for some reason EvE decided to pull the trigger from 30 yards. She really is terrible.

Switzerland v Netherlands was a draw, which if I’m not mistaken means that Australia has got the sixth spot in pot 1.

Ellie Carpenter is the female Ryan Grant, but without the shit hair. Great jets from the wide defenders spot and runs all bloody day. What a great footballer!!

Plus so good to have Foord back in the team again.

I’m pretty sure she’s played a fair bit of it for both the Matildas and Brisbane. Elise Kellond-Knight might be the one who you’re thinking of who’s a great midfielder but gets put at LB a lot for the Matildas?
From what I gather Catley is on the road back from injury. Not sure if she’s a chance of being back for the WC.

Also nice that all 5 goals were scored or assisted by a Sydney player.

We have drawn Brazil, Italy and Jamaica in the World Cup group.

Is it a top two go through situation? If so, that looks like a decent chance for us to go through to the knock-outs.

It goes to 16 in the knockouts, so top 2 in each group plus FOUR best 3rd placed teams. Should get out of that group in a canter.

Great opportunity for Kerr to show up Marta on the world stage too. :+1:

1 Like

If there’s a positive to Mooy being out, it should mean Luongo is back into the starting XI and we’ll probably become a bit more dynamic and move the ball about quicker.

If Rogic is also out of the Asian Cup, I’d slot Ikonomidis in.

1 Like

Excellent news

It seems funny that there hasn’t been any dramatic articles about clubs not releasing players to go to the Asian Cup.
There’s no rules in place about FIFA forcing them to is there?

Bought a family ticket ($40) to bring my girls. Like I need an excuse to go to Jubilee :grin:

Disgraceful:

1 Like

Yeah seems a little weird given how well we have been going in recent years. Has the potential to destroy our best chance at a World Cup Trophy

Wonder where the player revolt is coming from. The angry dyke brigade within the team?

Does seem odd.

Maybe it’s not coming from the players? That’s what I infer from Gatty’s tweet:

I’m all for arsing GvE so Emily doesn’t get a free pass, but Staj under pressure, really?

Absolute disgrace, but if he does leave I hope Scotty Barlow is on the phone to offer him his old job back.

STACJIC has been stood down,presser later today.

Yeah my first thought was that we might get him back here. Then I wondered if maybe he wants to move into the men’s game with an expansion club.

More questions than answers thus far.

That’s devastating news. First at Sydney FC, then the Matildas, he always made the team play better than the sum of their parts. Also had a great style of football.

If the change is due to anything less than serious misconduct on Stajcic’s part, I will be absolutely filthy at the FFA for getting rid of such a key figure only a few months out from a World Cup we have a serious chance of doing well in.

2 Likes