Australian Women’s National Team Thread - Our best chance at a World Cup

I had it in my head for sure that we’d be done over, but so great to be announced as host.

1 Like

Good to see not one FTA station decided to show one of the biggest moments in sport in this country since the 2000 Olympics and the biggest single moment in women’s sport we have ever seen here.
They’ll be fapping themselves stupid come 6am though.

1 Like

I’m flabbergasted

1 Like

We’re hosting a football world cup…

22-13!

Suffer in ya jocks!

3 Likes

Looking at the stadiums I assume we’re getting the final too

Yep, according to ABC

Hopefully ANZ is only used for the final.

2005 Australia def. Uruguay
2015 Australia def. Korea Rep.
2023 Australia def. U.S.A.

Never knock down that stadium

5 Likes

I have no words. What a moment. I’ll be buying tickets to as many games as possible and I bet my mates won’t be laughing like when I bought tickets months before to the Asian cup final.

3 Likes

Presumably we’ll be able to buy a pass for all the Sydney games.

So excited!!

I’ll be doing the same, as long as pricing is reasonable.

We’ve had the Asian Cup but this will be so much more fun, I think.

Ditto. I’ve been to so many of the Matilda’s friendly games in Sydney over the last few years. I cannot wait for this. My Dad is in NZ, so might even pop across the ditch for a game or two over there if time permits.

1 Like

The final, plus the new footy stadium is being used, so plenty of football nearby.

I’d assume Australia will probably play the marquee group game there too, along with Melbourne and Brisbane. They’ll back selling the extra 25k over the footy stadium

No idea how I’m going to sleep. Can’t wait to see how Australian football fails to make to make the most of this.

2 Likes

Bit of a tangent, but isn’t the capacity increasing to 55k?

I’m the same - ping awake at the moment. I’ve really enjoyed the strides that the Matilda’s have made on and off the pitch. This is going to be massive.

1 Like

7 Likes

That is such a great photo.

No massively packed room, just a select group of people who obviously have an invested interest in the result.

"I can announce the host country of the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023, which will be…

… Australia, New Zealand. Congratulations, and thank you very much."

Wow what news to wake up to. Absolutely massive for football in our country. I’ve always rated Fifa