Brisbane Roar Thread

“Around this level”? Let Fondre? No, he’d played Championship (plus one solid EPL season) for many years before joining us. Pretty sure he got more Championship minutes in the 12 months before signing for Sydney than these guys have managed cumulatively in their careers.

I know, Im being generous. He played League One 2 seasons before us (then Championship then us).

This is FANTASTIC news for Central Coast.

A 34-year-old Roy O’Donovan might just be their star player at this rate.

Holy shit. Who didn’t see this coming when they appointed Fowler to start with? Should be binned before Phoenix at this rate.

Im pretty sure Aiden O’Neill went to Roar so he could stop getting loaned out to League One teams from Burnley…and hes walked into another L1 team.

3 Likes

Its not the fact anyone playing league one is bad, its a tough as hell competition. Its just these guys seem to be cast offs from the league. As written above, International spots should be for guys who have genuinely shown to thrive at a better level than this one.

The Motherwell CB looks like he could be solid, otherwise …yikes

1 Like

You know who are good foreigners? Ninko (UCL), De Jong (EPL) and Alfie (EPL). And thats how you win the league.

When Fowler inevitably gets sacked, this team will be setup for Big Sam to take over and play his direct style.

3 Likes

At this point, and considering Fowler’s coaching license was in 3 at the back Id be saying currently theyre looking like:

-------------------Young----------------
--------Aldred Bowles Gillesphey-----
Neville- O’Neill-Mauk-Inman-O’Toole
-----O’Donovan-Amadi Holloway----

Bench: Freke, Hingert, Pepper, Mells, Wenzell-Halls

Another team that could probably use Gersbach. Though knowing the English connections Id be surprised if they didnt make a play for James Meredith/Callum Elder/Ben Garrucio.

I checked out the Shrewsbury Town forum on my way home (off seasons are boring) and I didn’t see a single person sorry to see him go. They thought he was rubbish. I can’t imagine they care whether they got something out of it or not: getting him off the wage books sounds like a win for Shrewsbury.

1 Like

we didn’t win the league… we won the finals series

I’m ok with how RF is going about his business. I think he’s first and foremost concentrating on our defence which was woeful throughout JA’s tenure.

My initial thoughts on our playing style is that we’re moving towards a counterattacking way of play. Sit comfortably deep, flood the midfield, soak up pressure and then hit counters with DWH driving forward and Roy on point. The likes of Mauk, O’Neill and Inman supporting from midfield.

Akbari could be an ex-factor/impact players coming off the bench but hopefully RF is looking to bring in someone more experienced to do that as a first choice.

Brisbane sign Jay O’Shea

Brisbane Roar is pleased to announce the signing of former English Premier League midfielder Jay O’Shea ahead of the Hyundai A-League 2019/20 season.

A former Irish U23 International, O’Shea arrives at the Roar from Bury FC where he enjoyed a stellar 2018/19 campaign, winning his side promotion to the EFL League One and himself a spot in the EFL League Two PFA Team of the Year.

The 30-year-old who scored 15-times during the campaign was also awarded EFL League Two Player of the Month for both November and January.

The cumulative professional experience of Brisbane’s five foreign singings:

Competition Country/Confederation Apps Minutes
League Two England 310 23776
League One England 186 7746
A-League Australia 80 6816
Premiership Scotland 83 6151
Championship England 31 1908
EFL Trophy England 21 1786
FA Cup England 38 1418
EFL Cup England 21 1350
National League England 16 1190
SFA Cup Scotland 8 596
Premier League England 30 568
Champions League Qualifying UEFA 4 360
UI Cup UEFA 4 360
Champions League Qualifying AFC 2 203
Europa League UEFA 2 180
1 Like

I can’t wait for Roar to get a real UK backpacker gap year culture.

So when is Charlie Miller coming back?

2 Likes

His flight was delayed. Security had to remove a drunk and unruly Bob Malcolm from the plane prior to take-off.

2 Likes

Is Craig Moore on the coaching staff yet?

Motherwell fan I know said Aldred was extremely solid and reliable and Roar picked up a great signing with him.

Scott Neville signs with Brisbane Roar

Brisbane Roar’s defence will have almost a completely new look in the Hyundai A-League 2019/20 Season after the club secured Premiership-winning right-back Scott Neville.