Brosquinho thread

Didnt get emotional at all with that foxsports feature on him. Still remember being pumped when we signed him season 2.

I remember getting excited when we found out we’d signed him about a third of the way into Season 1.

And watching The Roar hearts break …

I’ve seen people on Facebook and Twitter suggesting we retire the #14 jersey. How would people feel about that?

For me, I feel it’s overkill. Retire it for next year, absolutely, but as much of a legend as he is, I don’t think we should retire the number full stop.

Agree it’s overkill. He didn’t die in a plane crash he’s just retiring ffs…

I love Brosque as much as the next SFC fan but I don’t agree with this. Unlike American sports, football generally has squad sizes with numbers to replicate positions and anything higher than a 23 or 24 starts to look stupid, unprofessional and poorly organised (see Australia and Pim Verbeek).

If Man United haven’t retired the 11 (Giggs), 7 (Best, Robson, Cantona, Ronaldo, Beckham), nor have Real Madrid (Ronaldo, Raul), Liverpool, Barcelona nor Chelsea retired 8 (Gerrard, Iniesta, Lampard), Newcastle nor Milan retired 9 (Shearer, Van Basten), Juventus and Roma have not retired 10 (Del Piero, Totti) no one has ever retired 1 (Buffon, Khan, Schmeichel), and it took to 2007 for Ajax to retire their 14 (Cruyff), I fail to see why we should retire 14 at the moment or at all. Maldini (3) and Moore (6), both had their club numbers retired, at Milan and West Ham respectively, and as great as they were I still don’t agree with it.

That nonsense where we had Socceroos wearing 3 digit numbers was AFC mandated, the rules stated players had to wear the same squad numbers for Asian Cup and WC qualifiers… so if for example Lucash was unavailable the #2 went begging.

Agree it would be overkill to retire it and don’t like it as a tradition in football. Has anyone else worn #15 since Terry yet though? Just unofficially not using it for a year or two and then making sure it eventually goes to someone worthy is fine.

My understanding is that 15 was retired for the year after Terry retired, & no one had worn it since

Cheers, that’s what I recalled. Maybe just no one else has yet claimed it, but imagine the travesty if it had gone to someone like Hoole.

Luckily we have some good young kids coming through. I’d be happy for Ivanovic to take #14 when he signs his marquee deal for season 20/21.

48 hours from conception to execution.

STC/SYC best in the land

13 Likes

I love that Dogga’s seat is in that shot. Fitting.

Well done to all involved.

2 Likes

I didn’t notice that until now. Extraordinary, and again, well done to everyone involved. A player in this league won’t get a much better send-off than that.

No one else in the league bothers with tifos any more and yet we come up with at least 3 or 4 per season that make me really, really impressed. Kudos to all involved.

4 Likes

I second this. I love that we still do this and a big well done to everyone who puts in the time and effort. It is greatly appreciated I can assure you.

5 Likes

Superb tifo, fitting tribute to the great man

Here’s a look at Captain Fantastic over the years thanks to Four Four Two

Crea grabbing his junk in the first photo doesn’t sell the article so well.

Some wonderful memories there: Juninho, Holosko and all. But I can’t remember Brosque and Nicky Carle ever playing together at SFC. Were those photos of them at training during the period that Lavicka invited Carle to train on with us - but long before he signed?

Brosque and Carle both in the 2010-11 squad.

http://www.ultimatealeague.com/fixtures.php?season=2010-11&round=1

Thanks, I had forgotten.

Not new news about his salary but just to confirm what a hero he is

By the start of the next season, Brosque was earning about a quarter of his previous $500,000-a-year marquee deal. Had he not voluntarily chosen to slash his own wages, Sydney FC would not have been able to recruit the squad that went on to break almost every A-League record as they marched towards a premiership and championship in the 2016-17 season.

“He went severely underpaid as a player just so we could fit his mates in and for us to be successful,” Arnold says. “That’s the type of person he is.”

8 Likes