Don't Blame Me, I Voted for Zdrilić: The Ufuk Talay Thread

Or, depending on how the season goes “Get him up here, I want Talay him”

2 Likes

He had an over 40% win rate there, with one of the smallest budgets in the league, and spending a considerable portion of time based in Australia during the lockdown period. He did a great job in trying circumstances.

11 Likes

We got a lot of Sydney United connection in our club, for a club sometimes called “Sydney Serbia”, at management level, Arnie, Ufuk, Juric, Zdrilic. I don’t think we have even any Serbian heritage players at our club at the moment. Got a Croat substitute GK though.

So he had a 60% DIDN’T win rate then :roll_eyes:

(kidding).

That isn’t bad. I just remember him complaining a lot.

I thought Talay played for Marconi, not United?

No appearances at United but signed with them and was assistant coach later.

In the past 4 seasons they got 16 fewer points than us, which considering that includes Corica’s finest (19-20), the disparity and resources, and having to play nearly two seasons out of remote accommodation, is actually pretty impressive.
I’m not particularly excited,.mind you, but our clubs recruitment is generally pretty safe so that’s about what could be expected.

2 Likes

I campaigned for the other guy, but I voted for Ufarken

3 Likes

What’s the logic for people wanting Zdrilic over Talay, given Zdrilla is just as inside the Sydney FC ecosystem as Talay and, unlike Talay, has not been a head coach? Talay has both experience as a Sydney FC men’s assistant coach and an ALM head coach. At a minimum, he seems qualified.

1 Like

It’s a two party system! You have to vote for one of them!

2 Likes

If anything we seem worse since Zdrilic came in.

I don’t really believe it’s his fault, or anything, but it’s hard to see where people base this idea that he’d be amazing from, other than he went overseas for a while….

3 Likes

He could start our first beach soccer team.

2 Likes

So he’s an Aleague coach, then.

6 Likes

Did Ufuk initially leave Nix to take over Victory? Was Victory not wanting to given Poppa a big severance package the reason we now have Ufuk?

Also, if we’re comparing Corica to Arnie, I like to point out Tony was replaced by Townsend around that time too.

Nah, he wanted to take the New Zealand NT job, but he was knocked back from that. The few months following before leaving he seemed pissy.

1 Like

Definitely big Branko vibes:

2 Likes

You’d be complaining a lot too if your Jandals kept winding up in the Chilly bins. And when you needed to pop down to the servo or corner shop for a couple of liters of milk they informed you that you should go to the dairy for it.

Couldn’t even get a proper Woollies over there.

Nah, he only seemed pissed off and complainy when he got knocked back for the NT job

2 Likes

I distinctly remember not wanting Arnie the first time around because he sooked a bit up the F3. Not at all a concern this time, I expect a similar adjustment to “big team” mentality.

The obvious appointment, but also the one I think we need. Glad it’s been sorted, and quickly. Welcome back Uffy!

Don’t Ufuk with Talay
Don’t Ufuk with Talay, na na na na, hey

2 Likes

There can be no Talay thread title without a reference to a chicken dance.

1 Like