First Gear-Grind of the new Forum

I needed them when I was a teenager but whatever I did to my eyes I don’t need them anymore. Reading books and computer screens are all good now.

Melbourne trains are somehow worse than Sydney ones. Way less clear signage and even worse etiquette from the passengers.

That’s because the passengers are Victorian.

2 Likes

Just want to reiterate my annual loathing of summer. Fuck it right off. This weather is complete bullshit.

Making this intolerable weather even worse is how it melts the brains of everyone in Sydney and brings out the slow walkers.

Going back to public transport issues- people who stand on the right of the elevator despite 3/4 of the elevator length of people standing behind them waiting to walk up.

1 Like

Give me sydney summer. Had 200mm of rain yesterday, expected to be worse again today. What a bullshit long weekend.

I am really over football managers getting dressed up in suits and ties in the middle of summer. Why FFS?

1 Like

Fucking this

It’s the coaching equivalent of people in heavy hooded rainjackets in the stands?

“Cos the cool kids do it in Europe” :sweat_smile:

They’re going to work and representing who they work for, the club. They are there to set a standard. They can also wear whatever they feel carries, displays or sets that standard.

Plenty of people wear a suit to work everyday all year round no matter the weather. Just because coaches and managers don’t work in an office environment doesn’t mean they should dress with any less sophistication.

I’m just happy our guys don’t have massive embroidered sponsor logos on their shirt collars.

1 Like

they need to get us orange suits

1 Like

The expectation that office workers wear suits regardless of the weather is also pretty dumb. It’s like this insane compact where I’m uncomfortable, the person I’m meeting is uncomfortable, but we both agree that we’ll judge each other negatively if we wear something else.

There’s nothing sophisticated about adhering to dumb traditions for no practical reason.

3 Likes

I do agree with that, especially with our weather and extreme heats/humidity. No different to having to wear a collared shirt, jeans and nice shoes when trying to get into a nice bar. Sure it looks good, but the fact that by the time you walk in, you’re covered in a greasy layer of sweat defeats the purpose.

Ties and tight collars also reduce blood circulation to the brain leading to dumb decision making. Do I have to provide examples?

Always thought Muscat in a suit looked weird. Would be so much more appropriate if he wore one of these:

4 Likes

Reminds me of when I went to the Big Day Out the year that NIN played and there were people walking around in 38 degree heat wearing long black trench coats.

I’ve often wondered why this is still persisted with.
If you have a face to face with someone then have a suit on standby, do a newsreader for skype calls, but clean, non offensive, respectable clothes and shoes should be the norm. Surely a comfortable, relaxed worker would be more productive and respond better under pressure. Have guidelines because there’s always one idiot but most men would wear a polo or collared shirt with jeans/shorts and women a dress or top with skirt/jeans anyway.

From what I can see, working in a Government agency that spends a lot of time talking to other Government stakeholders, the public sector is moving away from the suits-all-the-time expectation. and it only seems to be an expectation for meetings with very top executives. Even ties are becoming much less common.

I don’t wear suits anymore, shirts and casual chinos are still seen as professional. No chance I could ever wear shorts though. Even those that wear t-shirts and jeans (no contact with customers/vendors) wouldn’t dare to wear shorts.