General Australian Football Thread

Was just looking around to see how things are shaping up in the Australia Cup preliminaries, and came across something on Football Vic regarding an incident on Friday night in the Oakleigh Cannons v Altona Magic fixture that caused the match to be abandoned.

Victorian football once again showing why we can’t have nice things.

(Apologies for the 9news link, but the article on Football Vic’s site only had very scant details as they’re still investigating…)

Victorians eh, what ya gonna do?

Dumb behaviour all round, Oakleigh player was inciting the Dandenong fans leading to a scuffle. A couple of fans were arrested.

Footage of the lead-up:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1766045557053632943

Just bought this:

2 Likes

Don’t worry, the jets ceo released a statement, it’s all good.

I mean if they can’t make it work in Newy, they can’t make it work on the GC where sports teams go to die

2 Likes

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, a club will work on the Gold Coast. Relocating the Newcastle side there is not the answer though.

The Gold Coast no longer has the transient population that it once did. You also have to continued growth in population of the Far North Coast of NSW that they would draw support from.
If you’re worried about a prospective club being based in a city with a high transient population then I would be worried about a Canberra side.

Is there a lot of support for the Titans there?

All the pathways programs are conducted by the Titans.
There’s plenty of Titans gear getting around but you also have to take into account the long term success of the team just up the road.

Given the absolute cesspit of shit that Brisbane are at the moment a GC based football side wouldn’t be facing any competition from them for fans.
You also need to take into account that although this region falls under the NNSW Federation there is absolutely no investment in the game from them up here which sees the local academy playing in the GC competition.

The benefit of reintroducing Gold Coast into the league is that we won’t have the bellend nutcase that is Clive Palmer trying to politicize everything and using the club as his own scapegoat.

I could see a gold coast team stealing a lot from northern NSW given how Newcastle-centric nnsw football are.

Lots of teams would be keen on academy programs leading north.

Our better referees who want to go further are also heading that way now rather than going down to Newcastle.
It helps that it’s only an hour up the road but you also don’t have to deal with the whole “if your not from Newcastle you’re no good” mentality of the Federation.

2 Likes

Does anyone else feel a bit off when they watch that Subway ad with the Matildas taking huge bites out of the footlongs?

7 Likes

Was thinking just this last night.

Like massive Anacondas taking down those sandwiches.

So unrealistic. No way you could eat a Sub like that and not half 1/2 the fillings fall out all over you.

2 Likes

Roosters-Bunnies now and a Super Rugby/W double the day before our game against Mariners. I appreciate it’s a multi-football code stadium, but my poor baby pitch! Look how they massacred my boy! :cry:

Edit Wasn’t sure where else to post this. Probably the stadium thread, huh?

There is some ‘inside’ information that suggests an ownership deal for the Jets is pretty close. Would be a huge weight off, I think the Jets finding an owner is the biggest short term problem the league faces.

But again it’s still speculation, apparently though the prospective owners are flying in next week to get the deal done.

THERE is renewed hope that the Newcastle Jets will survive beyond the end of this season, as a prospective ownership group prepares to resume takeover talks, while at least one other consortium has emerged as a fallback.

The future of the Jets has been under a cloud since earlier this week when the Newcastle Herald revealed that negotiations aimed at selling the franchise to FC32 – a company that has interests in European football teams – had stalled.

FC32 were understood to have grown frustrated about a lack of clarity from Australian Professional Leagues (APL), which runs the A-Leagues, about key financial details.

Fears that the Jets could be forced to fold if the FC32 deal fell over mounted after APL chairman Stephen Conroy said it would be a “terrible tragedy” if the foundation club was not part of the A-Leagues next season.

“We need to know by relatively soon whether this is going to be a club that is going to play next season or not,” Conroy said on Tuesday.

Since then, it is understood that FC32 have resumed negotiations and the Herald has been told that senior executives from the group are expected to fly into Australia from their US base next week to “close the deal”.

If that does not transpire, the Herald understands that two other consortiums are waiting in the wings and have made offers to the current custodians.

Jets executive chairman Shane Mattiske emailed the club’s members on Wednesday to claim there were “several parties” still interested in buying the club, which has been under interim ownership for three years.

The Herald has been told that an Australian consortium, which was one of the under-bidders to FC32, has resurfaced.

That group is understood to be led by investors who have previously been involved with an A-League club in Melbourne.

“There is another party in discussions which is willing ready and able to take over if FC32 fail,” a source told the Herald.

It is understood that a Sydney-based group is also interested in taking on the foundation club.

FC32, which is partially backed by the investment group Athletic Ventures – plans to build a seven-club portfolio. They already own Swiss second-tier club AC Bellinzona and also have a share in Italian Serie A side Salernitana 1919.

The Herald understands that FC32, which has been in negotiations for more than six months, had agreed on a price to purchase the Jets.

The sticking point has been a lack of clarity from the APL regarding the annual financial distribution.

This season each franchise received $2 million in grants, which was cut from $2.3 million. The APL is yet to confirm what the dispersal will be next season.

However, there is speculation that the grants could come down further.

The Herald has been told by sources with knowledge of the complex situation that FC32 want to renegotiate their original offer in response to the lack of clarification.

The Jets operate under one of the smallest budgets in the A-League.

First-year head coach Rob Stanton has rebuilt the squad with an emphasis on youth. Teenager Clayton Taylor has emerged as one of the finds of the season, striker Apostolos Stamatelopous has the second most goals in the competition and defenders Lucas Mauragis and Mark Natta have been selected in the Australian under-23s.

Taylor, Stamatelopoulos and Natta have recently signed contract extensions, despite interest from overseas and rival A-League clubs.

More than half the squad is contracted for next season.

If the current owners cannot finalise a sale and the club is placed into liquidation, there is the potential for legal action from the players.

Rumoured APL’s inability to do this is a direct result of the TV rights fiasco, 10/P+ obviously haven’t re-committed beyond their imminent exit clause.

Up there for the most nothing said in an official statement ever.

1 Like

Makes me vomit that an unctuous turd like Conroy is involved in football. what exactly does he bring?

He was a shockingly shit communications minister, a slimy arselicker of a politician and a clear influence peddler. His internet censorship policies were draconian and ridiculous.

He worked for gambling lobbyists fighting against pokie controls and voted against legalising the morning after pill and gay marriage in 2012.

Why the fuck is he chairman of the APL?

2 Likes