Improving match day experience 2021/2022

I’d like to see the club introduce an acknowledgement of Country at our games, like the NRL has been doing (not sure if theirs is every match or just Indigenous round / Origin but they put some effort into them and people actually stop and pay attention)

7 Likes

West Coast do that for every home game at Optus. It is really well done.

They also have a pretty anti Victorian video about their history they run, which I also support.

Just riffing on that - and acknowledging this would be new work - but a Sky Blue history short clip in the minutes before the teams would be cool. Kind of like the hall of fame / greatest moments series the club did a while back.

And the beer thing. Beer is great.

Turning down the volume of the announcer and the pre-game music would be great. Everyone singing in the Cove creates a brilliant atmosphere and yet for some reason it’s drowned out by blasting crappy music and announcements right up until a few minutes before kick off.

2 Likes

And when we score.

TBH I have no idea why the club keeps doing it - I’ve never met anyone who likes it and I know plenty of people who have hated it for 15 years and more, including every time this has ever been discussed on the forum. Bohemian rhapsody at the end is okay now it’s become a tradition but the rest of it is just noise

1 Like

Every stadium I’ve ever been to has the announce system turned up way too loud and everyone hates it.
There has to be a reason for it.

I assume it is to give our “match day partners” their money’s worth.

What’s the chances of the club listening to some of these suggestions?

Act.

Act is what you want.

They’ll listen. Hell, Danny listens to me about VAR on Twitter.

Is this just a random guy called Danny you keep on tweeting at?

1 Like

Umm … shit.

Free hat!

I’d like to see us use a different song, I never really got why Bohemian Rhapsody was chosen, surely something that’s not quite as dark and centred around death would be more appropriate. I’d be equally happy without a song being played at all.

1 Like

Me too, but now that it’s been a part of our celebrations through all of our win-every-game wonderseasons I’m happy for it to stuck around

The core cove guys used to sing it when they were breaking down all of the banners and flags and stuff at the end of every game, it’s tradition now, and you do not fuck with tradition.

7 Likes

Bohemian Rhapsody is an absolutely joyful little way to finish up a victorious arvo/night out at the football.

It has so much association with some of the best times I’ve ever had as a Sydney FC fan, and it’s a lot of fun to belt out with mates and total strangers as the feeling of the win soaks in.

Whether the people that stream out of the ground at 90 minutes care or like it, that is irrelevant. I love that it plays to let us all have that little extra time to celebrate together.

6 Likes

There’s always plenty of people outside Jubilee singing it as it plays.

While I haven’t been at many games over the last couple of years, I do enjoy belting out a bit of Bohemian Rhapsody after a win and I think it’s brilliant that the Club are recognising it too.

All the more reason for it to be a part of the post-match celebrations forever in that case.

2 Likes

A number of us (old farts) who go to almost all home matches thought the entertainment pre, mid and post game at the semi vs Adelaide was MUCH better than the usual bloke screaming at us on very high volume and all the fair-ground hoopla at half-time. Liked the new announcer better, sound was not so invasive and nice to see Brosquinho chatting away on the big screen. Felt they were treating us as adults with attention span.

I really liked that drumming band too. That was really fun and engaging. I saw lots of young kids drumming away in time on their knees.

1 Like