Its all horrible now, and I feel sorry for today's kids... the Music thread

I saw Foo Fighters at Summersault, NYE at Mac Uni (first tour here) and also at Selina’s touring their 2nd album. I am old.

But their show at Acer ~8 years ago was the biggest steaming pile of shit I’ve ever seen. Played about 9 songs with Dave just talking nonsense for an hour. Never paying to see them again after that and pretty sure that show was also my swan song for Acer or stadiums, anything bigger than the old Ent Cent is guaranteed to be shit.

Do recall seeing Metallica do their “in the round” thing at Acer too, whenever that was. That was decent as binoculars weren’t required.

I’ve seen Ministry at The Metro.

So once again hilly wins.

I was at that Selinas gig too and my big memory of being on the edge of a pretty intense mosh pit throwing elbows and shoving people out of the way so we wouldn’t get crushed against the mixing desk.

1 Like

I saw them at the UNSW Roundhouse and had an absolute ball - also saw them at Glenworth Valley the same year. Agree with what you said about Dave - at the ANZ stadium show it just seemed to be all about him reminding you that he’s “a mother fuckin rock star” and stuff.

I was at that Foo Fights gig at Selinas. Back when you could smoke in venues as I remember people flicking cigarette butts from that top balcony. One landed in my mates hoodie and started to smolder. Good times.

I remember they started the gig with Dave playing drums… on a second kit that was originally behind some curtain. Bout all I remember aside from it was late 97 or real early 98

I remember Ministry at Selinas and Al in a hockey shirt nonchalantly gobbing into the audience.

Right. You get the Sqwerty rule.

You’re not allowed to mention the Selinas gig!

Big Day Out 2003 was it for me - The moment I stoped being a fan. They were so turgid live, after years of waiting to see them I was so underwhelmed.

Thanks Christ for the 2nd ballot. Got two for the Thursday!
I think I owe football’s Kevin Airs a beer because I wouldn’t have checked that inbox until later in the day, probably too late to get a ticket, if I hadn’t seen his tweet about a 2nd ballot.

Also no email :frowning:

Sorry mate. Consider it $250/ticket saved. As an old fart, I really should have seen them in any of the 3-4 chances I’ve had over the past 25 years rather than only now. Have you at least seen them before?

I saw them ages ago at the Entertainment Centre so not so hurt about missing it. Just don’t want a repeat of the Prince situation where I was lucky enough to get tickets online for his last performance at the Opera House but balked at the price ($500) and didn’t buy it.

Can someone explain Oasis to me?

Well, Oasis were a British rock band formed in Manchester in 1991. Developed from an earlier group, the Rain, the band originally consisted of Liam Gallagher (lead vocals, tambourine), Paul “Bonehead” Arthurs (guitar), Paul “Guigsy” McGuigan (bass guitar) and Tony McCarroll (drums). Upon returning to Manchester, Liam’s older brother, Noel Gallagher (lead guitar, vocals) joined as a fifth member, which formed the band’s core and settled line-up. During the course of their existence, they had various line-up changes, though the Gallagher brothers remained as the staple members until the group’s demise.

1 Like

Watching supersonic are we Hilly?

Whatever was on Smooth/Arts last night.

The Gallagher brothers are interesting to an extent, and all successful, global bands have a tale to tell, and I do like some of their songs. Liam has an interesting voice and sings well. Noel can construct a song.

But I never understood why they were next level popular.

Oh, and get stuffed Rovers!

Post Grunge brit pop explosion – much like Nirvana they had that combination of pop and edge – not poppy enough to be plastic – not edgy enough that people were frightened. Plus, they knew how to write a good radio friendly unit shifter….

‘Brit-pop’ was my era for sure, and whilst I liked a lot of the bands and music, I never really understood the whole brit-pop movement. But in saying that, I was a ‘grunge-guy’ and I am sure plenty of people never understood that either.

Underworld at the Opera House last night were absolutely phenomenal, perhaps the best of the 6-7 times I’ve seen them live. The light/laser show was something else.

For someone that’s 62, Karl Hyde has amazing energy!

1 Like

Scene & Heard is well up my late 90’s indie alley. Plus ‘gurge and the magnificent Fauves in the same week. I will be unashamedly re-living my youth.