It's still nil all boys! - The Park Football Thread

I feel like i need to get my abkle checked out. Had a pop at the start of the season and jasnt been the same since. Been fine when it’s strapped up at least

Watched a bunch of young kids run around at Arncliffe yesterday with the rain coming in sideways.

Loved it and the community the club has going.

Hard lines Dibo. You’ll be back. Talk to Erin Morrow at your club. He has done his ACL twice in later years and still playing.

You’ll recover in time to be eligible for 45s. Always welcome in my team.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that dibo, know that distinctive pop all too well. :sweat: FWIW I did mine at 40, first serious injury, took 2 full seasons off to rehab but then the intended return got shafted by Covid lockdowns. So held off going back until last season, straight into 45’s once eligible, after 4 or 5 years off.

So this is key, if you want to keep playing you can always find a level to do so once you get a feel for how your recovery is going. There are still weeks where I don’t pull up that well, the knee can stiffen up a bit usually after something totally innocuous, and I’ll have a slight hobble for 24-48 hours after a game and wonder if it’s still worth it. But then I look at the oldest guy in my team who turns fucken 70 this year and is still going… he runs out of gas quickly so usually lasts 10 minute bursts at a time, but I swear that in every single one of his stints he deliberately gives the ball away once just so he can go crunch some bloke and win it back in a tackle. Always puts it into perspective, there’s another 20 years ahead available if we choose it. :wink:

2 Likes

Another solid ref story today.

My son nutmegs the central defender, is through on goal with only the keeper to beat, keeper comes out, he shoots and keeper saves the shot with his hand about 2 metres outside the box.

Referee awards an indirect free kick and gives the keeper a yellow.
Like fuck me, have you even watched a game of football before?

This was a proper ref as well, not some random.

1 Like

I remember watching the FA Cup early this year. David Stockdale did the exact same thing and got a yellow, even though it was obviously an attempt at a save and he was at least a few yards out of goal. I don’t know how a referee can mess something up that clear-cut.

1 Like

Arse. About 18 years ago that ended my footballing days. Good luck with the recovery

Another weekend, another washout in all likelihood. Crazy amount of rain for April, May and June.

Central Coast Football have pretty much exhausted most options to reschedule the past games so it pretty much looks like they still start canceling future games.

Well, they should have thought about that before they decided to schedule games when it’s raining!

2 Likes

We’re now starting to get Thursday evening games. Pretty sure we’ll have a few Tuesdays as well

We’re in the same boat in the St George comp.

It seems like a good season for me to be recovering from doing my acl in the second game, although the injury would have never happened had we not been forced to play when the ground conditions were so poor that day.

Finally had a game of football for the first time in 5 weeks. We’re struggling massively for players as we have (at last count) 5 injured long-term. We had 12 players including 1 ring-in who’s played with us last year. Really good player, really fast. He started on the bench, 10 minutes into the game gets subbed on. First touch, bad tackle, torn ACL

An absolutely abysmal 0-0 yesterday with the pitch being one half mud and one half dust, and the wind blowing an absolute gale.

That said, standing at the post on a corner, I managed to pull off a proper goal-line clearance with the ball half way over the line to rescue the point and keep us in it. Had to hook the ball back over my shoulder with my wrong foot. For a very shit fullback that’s as good as a goal.

4 Likes

We had our best game so far, held them 0-0 for most of the game to only fall in the last 15 or so. They got one decent shot on goal, followed by a penalty. In fairness, we were playing in Campbell Park in Abbotsford. On the water, the moment we were playing against the wind is was pretty much over

another game rained out today…