It's still nil all boys! - The Park Football Thread

We’re in AA09s as well and have had a ref every single game funnily enough. Canterbury really does seem to have their shit sorted in that respect. We even had two linesmen during one of our games.

Next week is going to hurt though, playing Saturday and Sunday…

They manage to ban for all life all the pricks that will start shit with the ref?

1 Like

We put 4-0 past 3rd place over the weekend to continue our unbeaten start to the season.

1 Like

We did have both teams “having a go” at one of the lineswomen for calling offside way too late multiple times. In fairness, it’s because we wanted her to just call it without having one of us play at the ball. Making that extra run of 20m and having to walk back was really affecting fitness

Fuck I hate that. At any level. Just call it!

Lost 3-1 yesterday on the Bielfield synthetic pitch. The pain the knees is mental and we still have a game today which will be fun.

Ref was random though, called a foul, then one of our guys questioned him and they did a circle until the ref said it wasnt a foul but still played the foul. Ref also wasnt aware a penalty taker cant play the ball after the shot if it hits the post. Hes the head of the association

Had a good one today, not an official ref as is usual here in the west.

Diagonal ball played over to our striker, he runs through takes a shot, deflected by the keeper and our right winger follows up and puts it into an empty net from about 6 yards.

Assistant ref puts up his flag but I notice he is standing 30 metres back up the sideline. Referee chats to assistant, I ask to clarify what happened.

Hang on, who is offside?
Our right winger when the first diagonal pass was played.
Yes, but our striker took possession, ran with the ball and shot, so play had reset, he ran from behind the ball to score.
Referee says that doesn’t matter it’s still offside.

He talks to me after the game and I explain what the assistant said means it was play on and should have been a goal.
You can see the realisation that he is wrong, instead of considering the decision he immediately starts ranting about football west, they are just volunteers etc etc blame someone else bla bla bla

What’s the going rate for a centre referee over there?

It’s $70 for under 16s

That’s not too bad.
Do you know why there is such a shortage of referees over there?

I’m not really sure.

I don’t know if football west is more disorganised than other areas but it feels pretty terrible.

Maybe they only care about NPL/state league, maybe referee abuse is really bad. I think they had really high registration fees as well in the past. It was around $400 to register as a state league referee each year.

We’ve had 6 games and one referee.
I’ve had to referee all our home games and I’m assistant coach.

Noone wants to ref. Most players are absolute cunts once they hit competitive age groups.

You’d have to pay me ALOT more than $70 to put up with that shit. Done it before, won’t be doing it again.

KDSA had it right 15-20 years ago. For lower, all age grades, each division had reserves playing at 1 and firsts playing at 3. If you were the home team, you HAD to supply a qualified, paid referee for each game. The home team also supplied an assistant, and the away team supplied an assistant. There were fines for the Club if it didn’t happen.

3 Likes

Similar thing happening in cricket here. A and B grade have the same draw and 7 teams, so the bye side has to supply umpires to all C grade games without any. Fines if you don’t.

Only had 1 without and another only 1 so needed to do square.

God the pain after the weekend. Two games in two days. We were meant to have 6 subs yesterday, but one of our guys tore his MCL on Sat, another guy got the shits (literally) and then another player did his knee five minutes into the game. Ended with 3 where two of our players were nursing muscle injuries from the previous game and my knees were completely shot.

Got pumped 12-0 or so, but credit to Marrickvile, they definitely weren’t dicks about it. One of their players took out one of ours in a bad tackle. Their whole team told him off for the shit tackle and forced him to go check on our player. Turned out to be a decent lot.

Also had an absolutely gun referee. Didn’t really call anything contentious, except for a weird penalty against us.

3 Likes

So thanks to being scheduled on a synthetic pitch, I played in the rain today. Just relentlessly poured the entire game, with wind sometimes joining the party to make it really drive into us. We came away with the 3-0 win but it was one of the most singularly unpleasant footballing experiences I’ve had.

Would absolutely do it again.

3 Likes

Rugby weather

We thankfully got washed out an hour before kick off. Spent the afternoon in the pub. Would do it again too

3 Likes

We got washed out too. Although were meant to have a double header and play on Sunday but we had to forfeit due to players… annoying

At training on Thursday night, there was a pop in my left knee and I hit the deck. Physio on Friday did tests, suspected ACL, need MRI to confirm.

At 43, that’s probably the boots hung up.

1 Like

Similar to me last year… slight roll of the ankle at 44… few scans and the ankle required a rebuild with 35+ years of football

Operation was a complete success but the warning was “any tackle and you’ll end up on the operating table again”

So I can now run, cycle and kick the ball with the kids almost pain free but no more competitive games

Tough to get the head round… happy to chat about it if you need

1 Like