It's still nil all boys! - The Park Football Thread

Definitely can’t move it normally.
I only get a stinging pain if it stretches too far otherwise it’s more of a discomfort rather than pain.
It’s very localised, halfway up the inside portion of my lower leg. It’s tender to push on but the other side of my leg is fine.
Guess it’s time to find a doctor.

Just go to a physio.

Edit: (as opposed to a doctor)

Thread bump.

The last time this thread was used was probably when I kept my last clean sheet.
2 weeks in a row now. Sydney buses and all that.

2 Likes

Got flogged 12-0 today (we only had ten and are not very good while our opponents had 14 and are contending for the title).

It’s weird. It feels pretty shit being down 7 or 8 but once it hits double digits it loops all the back round and becomes pretty funny. We were in really good spirits after the game.

We once had eight players in an all age game and played top of the table whilst we were second last. Proceeded to park the bus massively and slowed play down as much as we can. Every goal kick took forever. We had them at 0-0 up to the sixtieth minute mark. They were fighting with each other because they couldn’t score. Game ended up 0-3. One of the most satisfying games I ever played.

We only had 10 yesterday as well.
Got an early penalty then acquired every bus in Lismore and parked them across the 18 yard box. The opposition’s frustration kept rising and when they had a goal ruled out for offside they began fighting amongst themselves. We then knocked a second in from a free kick and held on until the end.
Last week we played against 10 and they got an injury so finished with 9. Although we won 6-0 it was hardly a decent performance. They had 8 behind the ball so for some reason our players thought 8 of us should go up and join them. I think our own players blocked around half a dozen of our shots.

I’m a fan of a mercy rule when the score reaches 10-0. I reffed a game last week that ended 15-0, one team only had 9 while the other team had a full squad of 16, and there was no need for the last 30 minutes. The team that won pretty much flipped their line-up, GK to ST, LB to LW etc. and still kept scoring while the team losing could barley even run.
No one wins in that situation. The team that lost and played short will probably lose more players while the team that won gets the same enjoyment out of the game without the last 5 goals.

Remember being 9-0 down in a game when we scored and we went absolutely wild with celebration and acted like we just scored an extra time winner to win the grand final. Sure we lost about 12-1 but was still great times

1 Like

My entire career consists of a single U7s season where we lost every game and scored no goals…

Until the final minutes of the final game, with a cruel deflection we poached the jammiest of goals.

The place erupted. It was like we’d won the silverware. Parents and kids in tears.

All I remember was the free icy poles from the canteen for everyone. Victory tastes like frozen lemonade to me.

5 Likes

Yeah yesterday when we were about 10-0 down, one of our players pulled off an incredible goal-line clearance. We celebrated like we had scored.

Qualified for the finals tonight.
Pretty impressive considering we only had 2 points after 7 games. We drew the next game against the eventual premiers but fell to the bottom of the table after 8 games. That draw started an undefeated run that saw us win 7 of the remaining 8 games.

2 Likes

We went down 1-0 today in a game where we were possibly the better side against the premiers.
Unless there is a big change over the offseason then our Grade 14’s GF next weekend will be the last game ever for the club.

That’s no good. We were pretty close to extinction a few years ago ourselves. Down to only 1 seniors team and a couple of U6’s/7’s and that was it.

Slowly increasing numbers now though.

Who do you play for?

Italo Stars. We’re based in North Lismore.
We’ve been around for almost 60 years and are one of the most successful clubs in the area.
Our big problem has always been a lack of juniors. We’ve had junior teams but we’ve never had a big base to draw on. Previously we were able to attract senior players because our facilities were the best in the region and back in 2019 we went through the season undefeated and should have been promoted to the Premier League. However, the registered club that we’re attached to ended up going broke, wasn’t open most of the time we were there training, wouldn’t turn the lights on for us for training as they couldn’t afford the electricity bill and would shut early on game days as they were running on volunteer staff. The majority of that side left and took their children with them so, with no juniors to replace the senior players who left, we became weaker and weaker which made it harder to attract the better players. Throw in 2 COVID affected seasons in a row and player numbers in the region have declined across the board.
Club Marconi took over the registered club but a combination of COVID and delays in being able to carry out a much needed refurbishment, the club was shut for about 12 months. It reopened in February this year and early numbers at training were promising. We would have had two men’s, one women’s and at least 3 junior sides. Then the first flood hit and absolutely smashed us.
Flood water went 2m inside the upper level of the club and it hasn’t reopened. There was no electricity for the majority of the season and to the toilets are located inside a mould infested, abandoned, flood damaged building. Most of the houses surrounding the ground have been condemned or abandoned and a local metal scrapper has been dumping wrecked cars around the club. All of our fencing was destroyed and our lights no longer work. It is exactly what it looks and sounds like, a disaster zone.
Many of our sponsors were heavily impacted so we didn’t ask them for money this year. More than half of our players were directly impacted and those that weren’t had family that were. Some of us were homeless, most of us were staying with family or had family staying with us and by the time we got around to even thinking about football we were impacted again in the second flood. No one had the time to organise a season, we had no ground to train on as it was waterlogged until late April and all we got by the time the season was ready to start was a men’s, a grade 14 and a miniroos side.
The miniroos probably won’t be back, they struggled for numbers all year, the 14’s could continue but the men’s side is probably done.
Given how difficult it has been for the last 3 years the current board are all stepping down. We no longer have the time or energy to put in to running the club so unless another group steps up it’s hard to see how we survive.

What a horrible story! It made me sad reading this so I can’t imagine how it has impacted your football community.

First hit out of the pre season last night. 30 degrees, no subs. Good times

How’s preseason shaping up for people? I’ve joined a new team, probably playing Div 10 this season. Two preseason games, a 4-2 loss and a 3-3 draw against teams that are graded higher than us.

We played the second of those games last night. Man my joints really were not ready for that. Playing against a winger who is considerably faster than me at full back is just always a nightmare.

Just ask Rhyan Grant

I joined Abbotsford all age and we’re struggling to find players. Had a few training games against the over 35s team and it hurt afterwards

First training session last night back with the mighty Norwest Cougars. Knee held up really well for the first proper football hitout post-ACL reco, but everything else is fucked. Calves, hammy’s all screaming WTF this morning, good times.

1 Like