New Travel Thread - everyone gets a upgrade

No surprise that this thread hasn’t had much love since 2019!

So, I’m going to Germany for Christmas (can you believe it?!). We’re going so that we can be with my wife’s family, they can meet our baby and realistically we have more chance of actually being able to go to Germany then we do of going to QLD to be with my family.

Traditionally I’ve just relied on my complimentary credit card travel insurance, it was a decent policy but this time I want to take out specific insurance because we’re now travelling with the baby (more chance that we may need a visit to the doctor etc.) and there’s more chance that there may be travel complications with cancelled flights or the like.

Does anyone have any recommendations on providers? No idea where to start in comparing them.

Cheers.

Good idea to avoid the the complimentary credit card travel insurance it probably doesn’t include COVID cover.

I know that Covermore covers it BUT be super careful with the COVID part to make sure that it covers catching it and any delays/cancellations due to it. Especially make sure that if you can’t make it home because of a failed a COVID test that you won’t be penalised for changing the flight.

Unless you’re a contracts/insurance Lawyer I would make sure you call the insurer to double check what’s in the policy and note that any of the PCR tests would be at your own expense.

God speed to anyone that is heading overseas because with all the restrictions and the possible chance that your holiday can be screwed over because you could catch COVID I would rather leave it til late 2022.

BTW, I reckon people will get caught out at the end of the trip when they fail their PCR test and not be able to fly home especially if they are heading to places where COVID is everywhere.

Here’s one that spells out the COVID cover quite well.

We’ll be spending most of our time with family only, not really travelling around much.

Which provider?

I’m keen to get over to SE Asia, I have so much leave accrued. I’m not brave enough to go before Christmas but was hoping for Feb/March next year. Hopefully everything is a bit more settled by then and we can see how the early travellers got on with the new Covid world

Might be worth looking at some of the reading on this on the Choice website:

They do have a comparison of providers but that’s from March last year and so wouldn’t include COVID.

That one was with Go Insurance (came up as an option from Compare the market).

1 Like

Thanks, I did have a quick read over that (was linked from SmarTraveller).

I’ll be your canary. In my case, it’s not really the desire to travel/go on a holiday. We just want to see family.

Thanks - consideringa UK trip early to mid next year. Enjoy the kasekrainer and bratwurst at the Xmas markets of you get to them

1 Like

Good luck mate. I’m sure you will be fine. If I was visiting family I would go also. If you are double vaxxed the odds are in your favour

2 Likes

Don’t believe that list, the insurer I work for is included in that list and we definitely don’t sell COVID cover at the moment.

I just want to go to Wellington for the Feb 19 game.

1 Like

I’ve got about 6 weeks of annual leave built up, but don’t really fancy any imminent overseas travel except to NZ. With all the restrictions and the chances of it going tits up with Covid, would rather avoid the stress for the timebeing.

This info might be a little dated now, but last year (pre-Delta strain) a family member who had some travel plans and wanted cover in case COVID caused them to cancel (which it did) was told by their travel agent to specifically look for the words “for any reason” in the cancellation terms; and Covermore was the only one that had that.

I did a fair bit of overseas travel for work many years ago, and had an annual Covermore policy, but they are a bit pricey compared to some of the smaller resellers you find on Finder.com.au and the like.

Also look for the word Pandemic or Government prohibition. If you see those words, avoid.

Thanks. Coremore appear to be around the same premium as the one that I posted before, but they aren’t as clear about the COVID cover. I’m going to download the PDS for each one and go through them to make sure that I get one that covers the obvious COVID scenarios that could arise.

Wellington is a pretty safe bet, and after going to an away game there in 2019, I can absolutely recommend it. It was the most fun I’ve had for an away game, and I’ve had a lot of those.

On the travel insurance front: the policies that I have looked at typically cover for a range of COVID related scenarios, including medical costs due to COVID infection, flight and accommodation changes due to testing positive to COVID, having to isolate based on government regulations or if smart traveller upgrades the travel advice to the country you are travelling to (to reconsider travel, or do not travel).

The big catch is that they do not cover for costs related to border closures (state or international).

Also found this article which pretty much summarises what I had concluded.

Travel insurance is adapting to a world with COVID-19 — but there’ll be a catch - ABC News

In my case, I think we will be covered adequately. Our flight bookings have a cancellation/change fee of about $300, so if borders close we will be out of pocket, but at least don’t forfeit the full fare.