New Travel Thread - everyone gets a upgrade

i took tablets and passed out when we went with a group, but most others either threw up or were really close. In saying that, on another day, a separate group went deep sea fishing and said the ocean was like a pancake

I didnā€™t find it particularly bad.

Freo and Swan Valley worth a day trip.

Pinnacles are great if you want a day trip out of town. About 2.5 hrs North by car. You get proper Big Sky country, and thereā€™s nothing equivalent to them close to Sydney. There are some proper open beaches around where itā€™s quiet so you feel like shark bait, and if youā€™re a total fucking nerd like yours truly, you can check out the stromatolites a little further north at Cervantes.

Pretty sure thatā€™s the first mention on here

Anyone done Everest base camp? On my yearly YouTube binge and the pull is stronger than ever

I have been booking my long service leave for next year and I cannot praise too highly the website called The Man in Seat Sixty One. Followed the advice and now all my fahrkarten are sorted.

https://www.seat61.com/

Iā€™ve heard of this site but never really used it properly. Where are you heading mate?

Never done it myself but it sure does appeal to me also. Hard work apparently though. Bit of training involved before hand it seems like

Iā€™ve done it, itā€™s not that hard physically (just like a long walk every day for a couple of weeks) but the altitude adds another dimension and really messes some people around. If you are reasonably fit and do the recommended acclimatisation steps you should be able to make it up there. Some of the side trips are well worth it as the main Everest route is not particularly scenic (by Nepalā€™s standards - itā€™s still spectacular and has lots of yaks) and full of tourists in peak seasons.

I am taking seven weeks; I fly into London and fly out of Prague. In between I am going to Ghent, Amsterdam, Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg and Berlin, travelling by train all the way. I arrive back in Sydney three days before the grand final - I am assuming we will be in it.

3 Likes

Good that youā€™re not flying within Europe, both for you and the environment.

1 Like

Train travel in Europe is brilliant, if youā€™re on holiday thereā€™s no reason to fly if train is an option.

Me and my wife travelled a couple of those legs a few years ago. The train trip between Berlin and Prague is fucking incredible, it follows a river pretty much the whole way and the views are ridiculous. Sit in the food carriage when you cross into Czech Republic, food and beers are cheap AF.

If you can do a side trip to Dijon give it a go - Burgundy wine country, cheese, gingerbread factory and of course moutarde.

Thereā€™s something so nice about taking the train: the scenery, the smooth ride and the nod to a previous era where train travel was king. Train operators are struggling a bit now and fares are going up, but I still prefer taking the train over other methods (renting a car including fuel would have been the cheaper option for a trip from Frankfurt to Mā€™Gladbach last year - still took the train though).

And you can drink beers you bought for a dollar

I splurged on First Class, a Stewart will bring European beers to my seat.

Got four weeks off in late March and am going to drive west without an itinerary. Will have a tent, boots and rucksack too. Keen to hear of any spots off the beaten track I should check out.

You could tell by the tartan?

1 Like