Only Nerds Read Books

So Im reading the foundation series atm.

I think I read the first books in high school snd re-read Foundation 10 or 20 years ago.

My memory of it was completely wrong!

What I find interesting is its reputation versus what Im experience.

Asimov’s world building is ok, but it falls short of a Hamilton or a Reynolds.

A lot of the sequels is philosophical discussion that is never properly resolved.

Im into the prequels now, so hopefully it picks up a bit. Being later writing.

2 Likes

I’m trying to find some historical series to read, I’ve done Sharpe, a whole load on Ancient Rome, including the Vespasian series and a few others. I’m finding it hard as I really don’t like books written in the first person and I also hate it when you have a series of 10-20 books, I’ve found they just end up dragging on or just get repetitive.

I have started to get back into the Star Wars Legends book as a guilty pleasure

Hornblower?

1 Like

I thought Asimov’s Foundation series was very underwhelming. Some of his short stories however are the best things I’ve ever read, especially The Last Question.

will have to give it a go! Cheers!

1 Like

Re-Reading all of Matthew Reilys stuff before he got too sci-fiy.

Temple is probably his best stand alone novel.

The Murderbot Diaries (sifi series) by American author Martha Well…

2 Likes

Excellent non-fiction, never more relevant than at present.

This book will keep you up at night.

I love Murderbot although it is hardly historical series being set in the future. If you start you will read the full set. Excellent.
The best historical series I have recently read is the Thrice Named Man series by Hector Miller. Set in the western reaches (and beyond) of the Roman Empire in the third century AD. Many characters are historically real some are not. You do not discover who until you read the author’s notes as you progress in the series. Highly recommended.

1 Like

I’m currently reading The Master and the Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

I’m surprised it’s taken me this long to read, as I’ve read a lot of so-called classic novels in my time, and one of my favourite bands (The Lawrence Arms) has long cited it as an influence.

It’s darkly satirical, as was to be expected, but it’s laugh-out-loud funny in parts. Three-quarters of the way through and I’m glad I finally got around to it.

I’ve had that very same edition sitting next to my bed for two years.
I really ought to clean my room more often. Or maybe I should just read it

1 Like

Totally endorse this recommendation.

I haven’t read a tonne of Russian literature but I have generally tended to like what I’ve read. I loved this book, it’s one of my all-time favourites.

Another one I’ve liked recently is We, by Yevgeny Zamyatin. Especially if you’ve read 1984, whether you liked it or not.

I’ve decided to read the entire Game of Thrones series. Only read the first book, so hopefully should have enough to see out the year.

I’ve read the first book but never got past that.

I wouldn’t commit to it before Winds of Winter comes out.

3 Likes

So, never commit to it.

5 Likes

That fat old fuck will die before its done., and he has a whinge about how people online have gotten ‘nasty’ with him about his decade of broken promises and side projects.

3 Likes

Oh I do like this passage.

Had someone crept up to the cottage with the sunken thatched roof that night, had they peered through the slits in the shutters, they would have seen in the dimly lit interior a grey-bearded old man and an ashen-haired girl sitting by the fireplace. They would have noticed that the two of them were staring silently into the glowing, ruby coals. But no one could have seen it. For the cottage with the sunken, moss-grown thatched roof was well hidden among the fog and the mist, in a boundless swamp in the Pereplut Marshes where no one dared to venture.

Just finished Our Man In Havana by Graham Greene. It was enjoyable enough.

If anyone is after some inspiration, there are a couple of Inspired Traveller’s Guides called Literary Places and Artistic Places which talk about the inspiration behind famous books/works of art. It was mentioned in one of those (although the Graham Greene entry is actually on The Quiet American, which is set in Vietnam).

2 Likes