Only Nerds Read Books

One of my favourite reads - Bill Bryson, Made in America.

images (2)

Half way through and this is hilarious. Quasi self-help book by one of the top 5 comedians around today. Highly recommended.

I’m really looking forward to Heat 2

Has anyone read this?

Don’t usually go for sports-themed book but this looked good

2 Likes

I’ve had it on my shelf for a while, and finally got around to it last month.

I liked it. It focuses on the ‘ethnic’ story of football in Australia and I thought did a good job of fitting it into the bigger-picture story of the country.

If I had to criticise something, I think Gorman is around the same age as me (= not old enough to have experienced much of the NSL as an adult), and he admits at the start that he only ever saw one match, so I was left with this lingering uncertainty about how much he missed mentioning or how the way he shaped the story was coloured by the particular people he chose to speak to / focus on. But overall it’s definitely worth a read.

1 Like

If you want a good book on football, Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby is a classic. I actually relate to it far more as a Sydney supporter than an Arsenal fan. As much a the Gunners are part of the focus, it’s more about fandom and stand culture.

1 Like

Read it a few years ago and was very impressed, particularly on the shenanigans of the first few years of the comp. Well worth a read

1 Like

So doing a touch of spring cleaning the other day, and found my copies of Bill Bryson’s 'Notes from a small island & The road to little dribbling.

I picked both of these books up in Heathrow Airport last time I was in the UK, and spent a good portion of the journey home giggling. I don’t think I’ve read it since.

I had always wanted to read Notes from a small Island, as it was referenced frequently in one of my favourite young-adult novels growing up ‘Nostrodamous and Instant Noodles’ by John Larkin.

Delaney is a funny, funny man.
An absolutely horrible thing happened to him and his family.
I’ll be requesting this from my trusty local library.

I am about half way through reading Moneyball. The movie was entertaining but was a very, very superficial account of the real story.
Fascinating stuff.

2 Likes

I have a physical copy of every novel and novella written by Phillip K. Dick and all 5 volumes of his short story collection. I think his short stories are, for the most part, better than his novels, which tend to explore and re-explore the same themes, he’s incredibly inventive, but was clearly a very troubled man.

As a teenager Robert A. Heinlein was my favourite author, in my 20’s adn 30’s it was Philip K. Dick.

I just dont do enough drugs for Phillip K Dick

He’s dead now, he won’t judge you.

1 Like

Yeah.

On account of all them drugs!

Speaking of drugs, I finished the Keith Richards autobiography “Life”, the other week. Great read - very entertaining.

1 Like

Not sure whether to post this here, or in the dad jokes thread:

Convincing your girlfriend that she’s crazy or paranoid is called gaslighting, and its a dick move.

But convincing her shes a robot with artificially implanted human emotions is called bladerunning. Its a Phillip K. Dick move. (Nathan Anderson)

3 Likes

Just finished. Very enjoyable. I was only 13 when the NSL so was interesting to read about the early history. A truly crazy competition.

Gotta love your local library

2 Likes