Only Nerds Read Books

Soo,

I recently re-read The Mote In God’s Eye for the first time in about 30 years. Still good!

And then it’s sequel, The Gripping Hand. It got hard for me to follow. But this may be because I’ve trained myself to fall asleep when reading after decades of reading in bed.

I’ve just read Ringworld for the first time. It was quite good, I thought, until it got to the Ringworld.

No shit, I just re-read it as well. I remember it being better.

I’ve read the first 3 ringworld books umpteen times.

I’m doing Peter F. Hamilton’s most recent trilogy, it’s good so far.

1 Like

I remembered the general gist of the story. I found the Hornblower in space aspect interesting. And comical given social progression over the last 50 years.

1 Like

There was a bit of chat about electronic vs paper books last week in Gear Grinding, but how about audio books? Any recommendations?

After promising (lying to) myself that I’d try to read more this year I’ve been experimenting with listening to audio books instead of podcasts on my commute with pretty good results. It took an adjustment to get past the idea that my normal inner reading voice is replaced with a foreign voice but I’ve gradually gotten used to it. So far I’ve finished both The Martian and A Psalm for the Wild-built. Already an improvement on last year.

I used to enjoy the bookreading on 2BL about 100 years ago. I have often thought of getting some audiobooks for long drives, just not got round to it yet.

My wife used to enjoy listening to me when I was reading the Hobbit to my son at bedtime.

Something nice about having a book read to you.

1 Like

I just finished this. Super interesting true story about two guys from Sydney who were tipped off about the existence of one of the world’s greatest wine cellars basically buried under an old winery in Tbilisi. I won’t spoil the ending, but suffice to say their efforts to buy (and sell) it make for a crazy story.

Really interesting yarn… which is much better than the actual writing itself.

2 Likes

Just finished reading Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. Really enjoyed it, highly recommend.

1 Like

I’m currently reading this particular edition of Dead Souls. It’s fantastic!

Neeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdddddddddddd…

1 Like