Random Football Musings

4 Likes

I fucking love Dave Mitchell.

Heā€™s the main reason I watch ā€œWould I Lie To Youā€

Real Madrid will finally have a womans team after buying newly promoted side CD Tacon.

This would be a good destination for Sam Kerr right? Didnā€™t she once turn down Barcelona and joked she was a RM fan?

In other matters, Peru is giving Chile a 3-0 tonking in the Copa America semi. I guess our loss to them in Russia looks less bad now.

ā€¦ and at 3-0 down, Chile win a penalty and Vargas says ā€œBrendan Santalab penno? I want me some of that!ā€
Beautifulā€¦

link doesnā€™t work for me?

not sure why that is? just tried posting again and it still doesnā€™t work. The story is on the fox sports football page though. interesting read.

Try this.

Looks like itā€™s something to do with the code on the site that messes up the preview.

I got a chuckle out of that when it popped up in my news feed the other day. Lad has obviously been fed piles of shit by NSL bitters about their popularity and attendances.

Thatā€™s what stood out to me. Full stadiumsā€¦ how does he know - because they told him.

Some solid points in places thoughā€¦ bit of a mixed bag of an article.

In the National Soccer League (NSL) days, Marconi Stadium used to be packed to the brim with 9,000 supporters, Melbourne Knights FC used to sell out the 15,000-seater Knights Stadium no problem.

Heh.

Knights stadium held 15k, of which 4K are seated. On that basis, sure the knights were often pushing their seated capacity, e.g. this classic line up in 1994 (random one I picked from their golden era):

Melbourne Knights
Frank Juric, Steve Horvat, David Cervinski, Fausto DeAmicis, Andrew Marth, Josip Biskic, Zoran Markovski, Vlado Vanis, Adrian Cervinski, Oliver Pondeljak, Mark Viduka. Sub: Vinko Buljubasic.

ā€¦beat Olympic 1-0 in front of 3500 fans.

Letā€™s try a derby:

Sunday, 7 December
Venue: Somers St Stadium, Melbourne. Attendance: 6879
Melbourne Knights
David Miller, Mark Talajic, Vinko Buljubasic, David Cervinski, Fausto DeAmicis, Andrew Marth, Josip Biskic, Zoran Markovski, Vlado Vanis, Zoran Trajcevski, Mark Viduka. Sub: Krunoslov Razov.
Goals: Andrew Marth, Mark Viduka 2 - 1 South Melbourne
Dean Anastasiadis, Kevin Muscat, Mehmet Durakovic, Steve Tasios, Paul Wade, Con Boutsianis, Gary Hasler, Jason Polak, Paul Trimboli, George Goutzioulis, Francis Awaritefe. Sub: Peter Tsolakis.
Goal: Con Boutsianis

Now while those line ups bring a nostalgic tear to the eye, and are full of top players, the Mariners-level group of fans in the city of Melbourne who thought it worthy of watching them is a bit of an insult.

Maybe the same rules applied to Marconi, when you exclude the one half of the stadium which is derelict and unsafeā€¦

Depends which number you use, the crowd number announced or the real numberā€¦

African Cup of Nations is unwatchable. Fucking vuvuzelas should be banned.

3 Likes

^ Thatā€™s an awesome story