Remaining A-League Fixtures Discussion

Peacock’s commentary improving outta sight

1 Like

Jesus, Perth are shite here.

So is Perth crap again?

To be fair they lost Wuthricht and Diego Castro. Thats a big loss in quality.

They let Kamsoba score? They’re shit.

1 Like

So shit even Kamsoba scored.

Schkalaking

Adelaide deserve the 6 imo and would also like to see WU scrape in on the back of Perth collapsing.

Perhaps an uncomfortable question to ask or even answer during COVID, but its hard for me to shake the feeling that Castro has left his club and team-mates high and dry. I wouldn’t blame Popovic if he asked why it was okay for Castro to deem the travel too much of a risk while it wasn’t too much of a risk for others? I’m sure he’s not the only player with a family, either.

1 Like

Popa is Mourinho at double speed. His 1st year he runs everyone into the ground (endless weight loss stories) and bullies the squad - booting out a few players who don’t go along with it (Andy Keogh). Through fear the players go along with it. He’s a new manager and getting results, they have no choice. Year 2 everyone is worn out (mentally and physically) by his schtick and results worsen. Big question - why is TMac doing W-League? No disrespect but its a step down from HAL. I doubt Popa wanted him and he isnt keen on culture building (TMacs thesis).

Thus the endless cycle at Wests. Completely resetting the squad and playing style every 2nd year. Its set them back years (hilariously).

We dodged an enormous bullet by not giving Popa the role he wanted here.

2 Likes

Popovic’s style is probably better-suited to international football than club football.

2 Likes

Poppa builds a culture of compliance rather than rather than buy in.

I hope Terry’s missus gets sick of Perth sometime soon.

With all the squad turnover because of covid and the broadcast deal, I gotta say apart from a few like Toivonen, Castro and Wuthrich not coming back, I don’t think the league has lost much from a lot of the other foreigners leaving. And it’s been great to see some new young Aussies making a mark in the restart.

Coming around to that idea of having less foreigners but they be outside the cap.

I also endorse a ban on signing foreign keepers. We need to keep giving good local keepers a chance to get first team experience. Paul Izzo is also reaping the benefits of first-team experience from a young age.

3+1 works for me.

1 Like

It is a bit of a poor move by Castro, but it’s a pretty unprecedented situation. I don’t blame him from being worried about it. You also don’t know if there is a possibility that someone in his family is high risk etc. That and it would be fairly tough mentally.

You’d hope, at the very least, that he’d be doing some stuff in the office in Perth to assist the team. If he’s still off travelling, then he can get f*cked

1 Like

I very much doubt he is in the office.

1 Like

Castro has always struck me as particularly mentally frail in standard footballing situations, so it’s not especially surprising that he’s a bit panicked by the most significant pandemic in a century.

It seems like he’s not the best at evaluating risk, and he’s clearly let his team mates down in a big way. But if you start from his (what I would call misguided) assessment of the situation and assume a binary choice between letting your football team down and putting your family at risk, only a nutjob would put their football team first. I can’t hold it against him as a person, but it does confirm some of my prejudices against him as a footballer.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much my assessment of his decision as well.

He’s in a campervan in a remote location in Australia if the reports are true. He basically wanted to take is family to an area where there was little risk of contracting COVID.