Round 12 - Perth vs Sydney FC - 9/1/19

Seriously?

I went into the season thinking the same, but he’s shown he’s a total liability.

Brosque would start over him if he was 50!

1 Like

I think Sir Alex just needs a rest. I also agree SdJ’s work rate was below par tonight, others called it in the first half and I was fondly remembering Holosko running around like a mad bastard myself.

But he also had a few nice touches around the box and looks likely, so if we do need to rest Brosque then maybe makes sense for SdJ to be the “luxury” player behind ALF.

I think he’s worth a shot at second-striker. His best moments have all been neat touches and quick thinking around the box, but he just doesn’t seem to offer us anything with the ball in the middle third at all.

MOTM voting is open:

https://www.sfcu.com.au/2019/01/09/player-of-the-season-2018-19/

So we’re back to Corica out?

MAN that’s a big call.

You’d be taking off one of the hardest working and most mobile players for a balsawood statue…

1 Like

I think changing the starting line up is important if purely because different players have different characteristics and pose different questions to the opposition.
The problem with “good old rock never fails” is that the other side can predict exactly how we’ll attack and where we are vulnerable. We can get by normally because the quality of our players is generally better than the opposition.
Corica has seemingly frozen after his attacking plan A was injured before the season kicked off, and just adopted an Arnie mk 2 approach, which he can’t carry off because we have some weaknesses in the starting line up which we didn’t in the last 2 years.

De Jong got three assists on the weekend but nah he’s shit and a joke and the worst player to wear the shirt sack him NOW and sign Neymar

Well Rudes is aceing his audition…

Dude you don’t have to be a reductive asshole with every post.

He has obvious problems.

Depends if the other option is running Alex into the ground at 35.

We’d obviously lose a LOT in our press, but FWIW we’re currently getting done by routine long balls. So might not be a bad idea to sit deeper when the opposition have the ball and also have that extra creativity on the edge of their box.

Who said shit? Who said joke? I think De Silva and Caceres would offer more in that RW position from what I’ve seen this season.

I’d also suggest that your comment should probably reflect that those three assists were against the weakest team in A-League history after they went a man down and lost another lead.

Completely agree, De Jong needs 6 weeks on the sideline or perhaps the whole season. He has been absent in most games, does very little work, and we have DDS who looks more the part.

Rating de Jong based on 3 assists against 10 men. When in reality before the send off he looked like he did against perth - average

On a positive note, with the Socceroos stinking it up big time at the Asian cup, we may well get Grant back earlier than we thought.

feel like pure shit just want the sydney conspiracy back x

2 Likes

Well that sucked.

Opportunity lost there. Oh well. At least we’re not West’s. Susceptible to the fast counter down the middle it seems so need to sort that out. Bit of rotation would be good and I think we’ll see it this weekend. Still equal second on the table so no goo here. As my girl Taylor says…shake it off, shake, shake, shake it off.

Last brainwave before sleep / red wine kicks in:

We could also go full Conte / full Perth when we get Jop or Warland back. Three at the back, less defensive responsibilities on Zullo and Grant / Retre / Tratt, and sacrifice the latter of Branners and Joshy. We haven’t been close to dominating the middle of the park like the last 2 years under Arnie for ages. A change in system might help address us getting constantly overrun and outnumbered in there.

Perth were better organised, defended from the front, played the early balls and took their chances.

We dithered in possession in midfield (including Milos) and just weren’t positive/aggressive enough. Needed to switch up the starting lineup as well.

Hint of handball for one of Perth’s goals but prob not enough for it to be called back.

I’ll cop that’s I’ve made the sarcastic posts a bit too much but I do think we’ve been spoilt the last few years so the bar where goo is acceptable is much lower. And I also feel in absence of Jop, Siem seems to be the target for every poor result.

Fair to question if he’s gelled yet but it’s not a cause for extreme concern when we’re still doing well overall this season- Ninkovic took longer to gel when he first arrived- it’s hard to always get people who hit the ground running like Le Fondre is.

Anybody else feel this result had been coming? I feel like our results have masked some pretty average performances against poor opposition recently. I don’t buy fatigue as an excuse, as I don’t think the number of games has been that high and a 5 day turn around is more than enough time to recover. It was also a weakened Perth.

We’ve also had some luck with brain snaps from Snake and Cisse and a dubious no goal decision which denied Perth a point a couple weeks back.

Too many players playing well below the high standard of recent seasons. Zullo and Ninko in particular have noticeably dropped off. Wilko and Brillante have also been slightly off. If it weren’t for ALF and Brosque, I think we would be much lower on the table.

Today our defense was exposed on numerous occasions and in similar fashion to previous matches against Wellington and even Victory. Balls through the middle and over the top have created havoc with our high line defense, and the gaps between our CB’s as well as our CB and Zullo have been enormous. Regardless of who is playing at CB.

Our midfield is overly crowded with central players who are unable to stretch the game, and the passing of Ninko and SDJ has been pedestrian and sideways. Its is very similar to the end days of Lavicka. Very narrow, slow movement and a lack of pace at the back.

I think Corica needs to rethink things. Buhagiar was a massive loss which limits our flexibility, but I feel we need to change our shape and certainly some personnel.

3 Likes