Round 13 - Sydney FC vs Melbourne - Postponed

Please, not in front of the 120kg uni students

freedom

5 Likes

What are the odds of this getting called off?

Just thinking of the CCM game last week that was probably borderline, I think if it rains as expected over the next few days the pitch might not be able to handle it. Apparently worst rain to be on Saturday.

Ticket sales seem to be going well, but i don’t mind if it gets moved as we’re probably looking at a 3-4k crowd in pouring rain.

But then scheduling becomes even more of a problem, and Victory are at a real low point so wouldn’t mind taking them on now and having a go at breaking some records.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it depends on how the Jubilee pitch has recovered from last weekend and how well it has drained. We’ve played in some absolute deluges before (that delayed derby at ANZ springs to mind) but I suspect that some of those grounds are a bit more modern and may drain better than Jubilee. Does anyone have any real sense of this?

Looking at a few weather sites the forecast has anywhere between 40mm to 100mm. Friday’s looking at 20-40mm. Would be expecting this to be too water logged/rained out. Could be a really scrappy error ridden game if it goes ahead which may work in the inferior sides favour.

1 Like

There"s also the W League game beforehand.

I also remember our derby got called off at Jubilee last year, the weather wasn’t THAT bad on the day but it was the few days of rain before it that was the killer. Based on this I dont think Jubilee has fantastic drainage.

I also agree with comments that a terrible pitch levels things up a bit which is bad for us, and also increases risk of injury.

If they are going to call it off , I hope they do it early not half way up the Hume from Canberra :soccer: :soccer:

1 Like

Sorry mate, we need to make sure all the Melbs arrive before its called off.

2 Likes

Will they all be here by about 8am Saturday morning?

Yeah !!! I suppose so ,
I don’t mind driving up then back for nothing if it means the Vics waste a trip !!!
:hugs: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Now, I really dislike how MV has played (and fouled and cheated) against us over the years; and I found Muscat a grub as a player and manager, and the huge numbers of their fans who used to come up in the early seasons included some of a similar vein and worse.

BUT, for me, too many people here seem to be focused on the S-League (Schadenfreude League) rather than the A League. Lose to MV and win the A League premiership and championship? I can handle that just like we did with WSW beating us last year.

Except we’re not miles in front of the pack this time. Beating the bottom teams is going to be essential to even consider challenging for silverware this year.

The only time I’ll be happy with us losing to that lot is if it means Milos can drink from the fountain of youth.

1 Like

Surely it is going to be called off…

I’m looking at the radar right now.

It’s not raining!

I usually prefer to be optimistic, but if it rains as much as I’m seeing in the predictions for tomorrow, I’d also say the prospects of the game going ahead are doubtful.

If the ground is unplayable I hope they still put a re-run of 20/03/10 on the big screen. Will be 11 years to the day since a hardy few went pants off for Byun.

2 Likes

Big list of outs for Melbourne:

Melbourne Victory squad: 1.Matt ACTON (gk), 2.Storm ROUX , 3.Adama TRAORE, 4.Nicholas ANSELL, 7.Callum McMANAMAN, 8.Jacob BUTTERFIELD, 10.Robbie KRUSE, 11.Ben FOLAMI, 13.Birkan KIRDAR, 14.Jay BARNETT, 15.Aaron ANDERSON, 16.Brandon LAUTON, 17.Elvis KAMSOBA, 20.Max CROCOMBE (gk), 22.Jake BRIMMER, 25.Luis LAWRIE-LATTANZIO, 26. Lleyton BROOKS, 33.Dalibor MARKOVIC, 35.Zaydan BELLO

2-4 to be omitted

In: 26. Lleyton BROOKS (promoted)

Out: 6.Leigh BROXHAM (suspended), 9.Rudy GESTEDE (injured - knee)

Unavailable: 5.Ryan SHOTTON (injured - groin), 19.Dylan RYAN (injured - knee), 23.Marco ROJAS (injured – fractured leg)