Round 14 - Melbourne vs Sydney FC - 26/01/23

I actually think we’ll win 3-1, and then lose or draw our next three games.

6.45pm on a school night? Like I’m staying up that late to watch us suck.

1 Like

FTT

4 Likes

A wooden spoon 6 pointer

Thanks to Newcastle’s terrible GD and our own not being too bad for a lowly side, unless we get done by 7 goals on Thursday, we won’t be bottom at the end of the night.
Heady times!

1 Like

Have you seen our defense?

Joint worst attack in the league against the second worst defence.

Clearly just our time for a ride at the bottom of this fully functioning salary capped league…wake me up when it’s our turn at the top again.

Who cares there’s no relegation anyway.

1 Like

Wow, so much goo. We lost to WU because a very, very old bloke, one so old that most here would have gone to the barricades in protest against had we signed him even three years ago, scored a brilliant, way out of the box goal. Had he not, we would have had a draw; had a couple of our many close-range chances gone in, we would have won. Similar story against Perth. If we add in those 4 or 5 points to where we currently sit, we would be right up there. But we did not and we are not. In the meantime, everyone is beating everyone else, with the exception of City who look like they will walk it in (unless Jamie Mac and Tillio go overseas in this break). Three or four good games would do it for us. Whether Corica will get us there is a question, I can’t answer.

1 Like

12 wins from our last 39 league matches, hard to argue that the goo isn’t justified!

So what you’re saying is that, if we’d won more games, we would have more points? I’m generally a “glass half full” type of guy, but even i’ve lost patience with it. Yes an old bloke scored, so WU won the game, yes it was an amazing goal, but firstly, he should have never been given that opportunity to score and secondly, Sydney failed to score goals themselves. Yes we have some elements on unluckiness, but Sydney needs to man up and make its own luck, or just grind out results like in the old.

1 Like

Heading down for this one. There’s only one group of consistent performers in this fixture and it’s the group in the S-E corner of AAMI Park wearing sky blue (and some black). At least we’ll put on a show even if the on-field action is dull.

8 Likes

What I was musing over was that, despite our recent capitulations, we were just about there in the last two matches and, more important, the costs of these very disappointing outcomes have, so far, been very low in terms of the table. Because everyone else bar MC are also losing points all over the place, we are only 3 points off equal 6th place and 6 points off equal third after 13 rounds.

There is no reason to catastrophise and see our season as over. Empirically our season is clearly not done yet and to just ‘throw on the kids’ to give them game time for its own sake is just an emotional over-reaction. We should see the season as eminently recuperable from here. I am pretty sure we have the squad to do it but I am not sure that Corica can lead us there given his current strategies. As well, I am not sure who else readily available to replace might be able do that. Just replacing a struggling manager for the sake of sating our frustrations would be counterproductive unless the club had a plausible ready replacement.

3 Likes

We’ve been fluctuating from “just about there” to “absolute crap” for essentially the whole season. There’s been one or two glimmers of hope, but the point stands, the games that we’ve played well are the outliers. We’ve been playing badly with a few good games, not playing well, with a lot of unluck games. Need a remind you that our first few games and points, were against oppositions that were fielding one less player due to red cards?

I honestly don’t care what the other teams are doing. Even if they were to all win points, it doesn’t justify Corica’s position. Just because everyone else isn’t winning games, doesn’t give a pass to Corica because he’s not winning games either. In fact it’s even more pressure on him as it means every one of the games we come to, baring maybe City, is winnable. The fact that he’s one 4 from 13 and lost 7 is telling. It means that any of the teams playing us, has a realistic chance of winning.

2 Likes

On the flip side, we’ve been in games but failed to get the win. I remember with Arnold’s top sides we’d win games we didn’t deserve to. Similar to Steve Waugh’s test side, we won plenty of games we had no right to, but you knew somehow we’d get there.

This comes down to the culture and the coach. We’ve got the players, we play almost well enough at times, but just can’t get it together.

A coach performing at their best would have got us those 6 points, or more, and we’d be in 3rd or better.

Plenty of time for changing this and it hasn’t come through. Whatever the reason, and however much Corica is a club legend, he hasn’t been able to select, organise and/or motivate the players to make the best of the games they’re in, and that’s the coaches job.

3 Likes

If you’re going to include points we could have if things went our way, then you need to balance it out with the points we do have that we were somewhat fortunate to obtain. Adelaide at home and Macarthur away stand out with the subsequently rescinded red to Ibusuki, plus Yaz getting away with one after Aspro was sent off (they also smashed the crossbar at the death).

We are where we deserve to be on the table right now, although yes, it’s tight.

5 Likes

My issue with this is that the “experienced” players are not getting the job done so there is nothing to lose and a potential upside in giving the “kids” a run. At least we will (hopefully) see a bit of enthusiasm on the field.

From memory One of our best performances last season was when he was forced to play the kids (vs Macarthur???) due to illness and injury.

Going into those last two matches:

We were just outside sixth with three games against the bottom four coming up, and we’re going to end up picking up between 1 and 4 points out of those 9. Being “just about there” against the worst teams in the league isn’t good enough.

Our next four games after Thursday are against 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 1st - and anything short of 9 points out of those 15 is effectively season over.

1 Like

Squad News

Sydney FC squad: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 2. James DONACHIE, 4. Alex WILKINSON ©, 5. Connor O’TOOLE, 8. Paulo RETRE, 9. Adam LE FONDRE, 10. Joe LOLLEY, 11. Robert MAK, 12. Pat WOOD, 16. Patrick YAZBEK, 17. Anthony CACERES, 18. Diego CABALLO, 19. Adrian SEGECIC, 20. Thomas HEWARD-BELLE (GK), 21. Alex PARSONS, 22. Max BURGESS, 23. Rhyan GRANT, 26. Luke BRATTAN ©, 28. Jake GIRDWOOD-REICH, 29. Aaron GURD.

(2-4 to be omitted)

Ins: 5. Connor O’TOOLE (promoted), 21. Alex PARSONS (promoted).

Outs: None

Unavailable: 6. Jack RODWELL (injured).