Round 18 - Brisbane vs Sydney FC - 8/2/18

That lineup really does look scary on paper.

Was just thinking the same. Really should be winning comfortably.

Jacob Pepper is legit one of the worst players in the league. ALF alone should tear him a new one.

As long as he’s not complacent about it.

2-0. We always win 2-0, we’re a 2-0 sort of team. So 2-0.

I like it. Needs more complacent public nudity however for that sort of scenario.

So Jop and Devlin out of the squad; Goat, Zool, Reza and Caceres in.
Starting to look like a strong squad for the rest of the season, health permitting.

Brisbane 6-0

Charles & McKay both with hat tricks

I like how willing Corica is to reward good form and punish poor form. Warland deserves to start and Calver deserves the bench spot.

1 Like

For me Calver wasn’t doing it in his two favoured positions, prior to pulling a blinder out in the unaccustomed LB role. So I think he just earned himself the squad spot for the week.

Brisbane Roar FC squad:

1.Brendan WHITE (gk), 3.Luke DEVERE, 7.Thomas KRISTENSEN, 8.Jacob PEPPER, 9.Adam TAGGART, 11.Eric BAUTHEAC, 12.Ruon TONGYIK, 14.Alex LOPEZ, 15.Stefan NIGRO, 16.Charles LOKOLI-NGOY, 17.Matt MCKAY ©, 18.Joe CALETTI, 19.Jack HINGERT, 22.Tobias MIKKELSEN, 23.Dylan WENZEL-HALLS, 31.Macklin FREKE (gk), 33.HENRIQUE, 38.Izaack POWELL two to be omitted

Ins:
3.Luke DEVERE (promoted), 7.Thomas KRISTENSEN (promoted), 12.Ruon TONGYIK (new signing), 16.Charles LOKOLI-NGOY (new signing), 31.Macklin FREKE (gk) (promoted), 38.Izaack POWELL (promoted)

Outs:
2.Dane INGHAM (suspended), 4.Daniel BOWLES (suspended), 21.Jamie YOUNG (gk) (suspended), 26.Nicholas D’AGOSTINO (not selected)
Unavailable: 10.Brett HOLMAN (knee), 13.Stefan MAUK (groin), 24.Connor O’Toole (broken leg)

Sydney FC squad:

1.Andrew REDMAYNE (gk), 2.Aaron CALVER, 3.Ben WARLAND, 4.Alex WILKINSON, 6.Josh BRILLANTE, 7.Michael ZULLO, 8.Paulo RETRE, 9.Adam LE FONDRE, 10.Milos NINKOVIC, 11.Daniel DE SILVA, 13.Brandon O’NEILL, 14.Alex BROSQUE ©, 16. Reza GHOOCHANNEJHAD, 17.Anthony CACERES, 20.Alex CISAK (gk), 21. Mitch AUSTIN, 23.Rhyan GRANT, 31.Luke IVANOVIC. “two to be omitted”

Ins:
7.Michael ZULLO (return from suspension), 14.Alex BROSQUE (return from injury), 16. Reza GHOOCHANNEJHAD (new signing), 17.Anthony CACERES (return from injury).

Outs:
5. Jop van der LINDEN (not selected), 24. Cam DEVLIN (not selected).

Unavailable:
12.Trent BUHAGIAR (ACL – indefinite), 22.Siem DE JONG (knee – 2 weeks), 19.Chris ZUVELA (knee – indefinite).

I think because Roar have no real rivals in the league. They’ve got no other team in their state so might as well bring some origin stuff

I don’t see Van der linden getting much game time anymore.

Feeling a 3-0. I won’t be able to watch this one so I’ll be relying on SFCU to give me that one eyed commentary I crave.

Agree, even if an injury was to occur you’d expect Calver to step in. Being a Foreigner he will likely miss the ACL too. Kind of feel for the bloke

I think he’ll be in the ACL squad - I would think that Reza (plus the additions of Caceres and Austin) would mean that De Jong misses out. We just don’t have that much depth at the back without VdL.

1 Like

Agree with this… Reza means we can limit De Jong and get him fit for a finals run.

I was certain we’d offload him in the transfer window, genuinely surprised we didn’t. I figured there must be a club in Holland needing a CB. Maybe he’s still too injured for anyone else to touch him.

Calver, Warland and Wilkinson is absolutely fine for CB. We have Grant, Tratt and Retre for RB. The only concern is LB but Calver I guess can fill in for Zullo if absolutely needed. I’m sure that will be fine.

1 Like

People here are needlessly down on Jop after he (and much of the rest of the centre-left of the defence) got found out a few times by long, diagonal balls into space. The same happened to others after he got injured. So it was not only Jop. Since then Bimbi has tightened things up, Wilko has been sharper, there is a bit better communication at the back and the DMs are squeezing opponents in possession to thwart those diagonal through balls.

Jop is dominant in the air, wins clean tackles in one-on-one situations and is perhaps the best long-ball distributor we have from the back. Shades of Petka and the Boss with that left foot. In a tighter, better-organised and more mindful defence, I am sure he would do very well. I am not at all sold on Calver as a wingback, despite his putting everything into it. Good CB but out wide … On the other hand, Tratt is a CB who can play RB really well.

1 Like

LOL. You cannot be serious. The amount of individual mistakes Jop made for someone who is supposed to probably be our best defender was utterly staggering and cost us several points earlier in the season. It is no coincidence whatsoever our defence has improved in his absence. Warland has been really good so far this season despite being out for a number of months.

I will, however, agree that Calver isn’t really a wing back. He is capable of the odd good pass or cross, and provide an assist, but too often his crosses are dreadful. Its probably better just to have him hang back, much like he did last week. Even on the left, he was quite effective in making sure that side was held tightly shut.