Round 18 - Brisbane vs Sydney FC - 8/2/18

While I am not a fan of Jop, he will be necessary for depth, ACL or HAL. The biggest issue with him was his lack of understanding of how to cover Zullo and, as he has been training more, might be a decent option as games pile up. We don’t know what will happen between now and the ACL with injuries and whatever so we just need to trust the club.

1 Like

Boss was always overrated here and Petka went to shit badly.

To compare Van Linden to them does him no favours.

1 Like

I was comparing Jop’s ability to hit a long, accurate, well-flighted and weighted pass out of defence with his left leg. Petka and, particularly Boss, were a delight to behold doing this, typically picking up Del Piero out of nowhere.

Is retre injured?

Keen to see what Reza can do

And Jop is such a needless scapegoat. Guy just got here was settling in and made a few mistakes in a patch where we were playing out best. I’ll let him another go before judging him

2 Likes

Maybe just no chemistry or some individual issues between Wilko and Jop. We’ve been caught out on same long diagonal balls since Jop left, but have been more wary and playing deeper. Jop has made individual mistakes, but failure was in the back four as a whole, more than his fault individually. Agree with those that say that he should know better given his (assumes) salary, but over the season I would still bet he would come good. If we’ve paid for him we will still probably play him. Jordi also had plenty of shockers before he settled in

1 Like

Great line up tonight and a reasonable bench. I hope Austin gets a few minutes and scores a wonderful goal to ease his self-doubts and build some momentum for him.

1 Like

They’re playing 3 strikers? We should stroll through that mid field

Retre was in the initial squad. I’m extremely disappointed for him. He doesn’t deserve to be left out completely while De Silva starts in his current form. Luckily we are probably big favourites to win and it shouldn’t matter, but its not the best squad that could be chosen despite what most people say.

Unfortunate to not see Charles there but guess he needs some time to settle in

I strongly suspect Brisbane will actually line up with a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1. McKay and Lopez would sit behind Bautheac, Wenzel-Halls and Henrique. There should be heaps of space for Ninko and De Silva as they tend to play a little wider and should be able to stroll into their respective channels when they deem it appropriate. Even if it ended up being a 4-4-2, our structure should ensure the middle of the park is completely tied up.

Henrique doesn’t have the engine anymore to do much defending and I don’t think Bautheac comes back all that far to defend, either. Grant and Zullo could potentially have so much fun down the wings.

Good to see Brosque back on the bench and i’m pumped to see how the Gooch goes.

That’s a cool lineup.

Alternatively this may be the best week to rest Paulo and play DDS back into form?

RE: Charles not debuting, I’d be surprised if there was not some sort of “gentleman’s agreement” for this game. All the best to him starting next week.

That’s also a fair point. Hopefully Corica has sat down Retre and assured him he is playing well enough.

Another point I just considered is that De Silva can’t play next week because we can’t play him against his parent club.

1 Like

In the games I’ve seen they’ve played Wenzel-Halls up top and tried to get him to break the line, but then they’ve also been eight goals down and dispirited by that point so it might not mean anything. I suspect they’ll play him up front alongside Taggart so one of them gets to play off Warland’s shoulder.

Ffs. Just lost my Foxtel connection with the storm. Useless twats

de Jong back next week according to Corica too.

Corica just said that De Jong should be back for next week. Should be interesting to see how we operate then.