Round 19 - 2019/20 Discussion

With a derby coming up in a few weeks, playing the Jets in their current guise will give the Western Suburbs forward line unwelcome confidence and form.

Well what goes up must come down.

Touchwood, but Iā€™m not seeing much in this Wests team to worry me.

Is it possible to have a worse back 3 than nts, boogard & koutroumbis?

Boooooo

1 Like

Did Bozza just admit to being a WSW fan during the post-match commentary?

He was talking about their players looking fatigued in the 2nd time and said, "ā€œAll of us fans, and I include myself as a fan, donā€™t get to see what goes on during the week. What we get to see, is what happens on the weekendā€.

I mean itā€™s no secret, but surprising to actually hear him say it.

Tuned in just in time to hear that. :ok_hand:

Heā€™s said heā€™s a fan of both Sydney clubs for ages.

Says itā€™s because heā€™s always been a Sydney boy.

Bozza is the biggest Melbourne Victory fan this side of the Milky Way

Personally, I prefer my pundits to be pundits first and fans never.

Games like this are not going to bring the crowds back

1 Like

Fair play to Fowler, Brisbane are much better than I thought theyā€™d be, and deservedly above all the dross below them.

The non-Sydney games that I have watched recently have been woeful, really canā€™t defend the ā€œI donā€™t watch the A-League because the quality is really poorā€ arguments.

It also seems like ages since we last played, I feel like weā€™re in pre-season again.

What has happened to Matt Jurman - a complete shell of the player he was for us

He put his body on the line a few times in the derby at Bankwest, but every other time Iā€™ve seen him has been diabolical.

Thought being a left-footed no nonsense CB heā€™d be perfect for the back 3/5 they started with, with better distributors alongside. But he hasnā€™t looked fit all season, often gassed by the hour mark, and has also lost mobility. As games go on he gets worse, starts making brain dead decisions and taking up ridiculous positions like this one:

Generic pre-season hangover fitness would have to be resolved by now. So either heā€™s been carrying an injury all year or itā€™s just a reflection of the self-loathing he must feel every time he pulls on that shirt.

1 Like

Because he isnā€™t playing for us. You have to look at it the other way as well, and ask why are we getting the most out of players that were barely scraping the surface at other clubs. Guys like Oā€™Neill, Retre and Caceres just off the top of my head. Then you have guys like Baumjohann who is making a much bigger impact.

I reckon weā€™d sort Jurman out if we signed him again. Our setup is clearly second to none in Australia, hence our continued success in the league.

Yes the setup has everything to do with withā€¦ We were the same under age where he took players to their optimum playing level during his tenure. The likes of Paartalu, Nichols, Murdocca, Solorzano and Franjic arguably peaked during that time and never got back to that level after.

To be fair, their whole squad didnā€™t seem to know what to do each week. From what I had heard, Babbel kept changing the approach week to week so itā€™s no surprise that players were unsure of their role. But Jurman has been rubbish, regardless.

Iā€™m glad we got (the right) McGowan over Jurman. I know there were a few on here who wished we had signed Jurman instead, but McGowan has been an absolute rock and has a cooler head than Jurman. Heā€™s also great for the bants and has fit it really well culture of the playing group.