Round 19 - Sydney FC vs CCM - 17/2/19

Torturous sitting in that blazing sun, burning to a crisp and watching that ‘performance’

The Cove needs much yelling of Shoot Farken!!! On masse and in unison as soon as any player approaches the 18 yard box. 52 balls into the box and one goal. Ridiculous!!!

Le Fondre is massively over rated, would make a decent super sub but the fact that he hasn’t managed one assist all year sums it up, definitely no Bobo.

Oniel is massively over rated too, I would be stoked if we could sell him to Aston Villa, the problem isn’t really him or Brillante, it is that they are both almost exactly the same player.

And as much as I know it will upset the SFCU hierarchy who don’t like technical players, De Silva was sorely missed, as was De Jong.

Last but not least, Corica seems to have done little more than buy a heap of good players and hope someone can score goals, not sure that will be enough to guide us to Asian domination.

I thought O’Niell was one of the better performers today. Thought Le Fondre had his worst game and Ninko missed some key chances. The formation must stop here and now imo, it’s just not working and to be brutally honest we’ve been quite lucky in a lot of games this season.

Also I don’t know about anyone else, but I thought Ivanovic was fantastic off the bench. He made more runs in behind and he had a directness in his dribbling.He offers more out wide than Caceres, Retre or De Jong do as they’re more suited centrally

VIDEO: Corica press conference.

The directness is great to see but he genuinely struggled to get past the left back for a lot of his time on the pitch. Maybe his weakest performance so far for us but still a better weapon than Caceres in that right wing slot. I’d be keen for him to start next weekend.

Well, at least yesterday made for a nice day out and some good goals. Today was penance for Saturday’s fun.
Thanks a heap to the Mariners for putting in a defensive shift like that while leaving acres of room for the Vuck a couple of weeks back. Fuckers.
We really lack pace and directness for punishing these teams. For all the calls from the galleries to shoot, it would be utterly pointless when the defense has had time to get in the way.
Otherwise we were similar to all season, not terrible, not great, which means we rely on luck good or bad. We haven’t had good luck in recent games so we haven’t won.

1 Like

We never looked like scoring until Ivanovic came on. Within 5 minutes he was involved in the lead up to the penno.

1 Like

Corica’s press conference is infuriating… listen to how blazè he is about everything.

He genuinely thinks we played well and even cracks a laugh when asked his thoughts on dropping points to BRI and CCM. Compare that to what Muscat, Popovic or Rudan would do.

Is it any wonder the players can’t get motivated if these are the standards he sets?

2 Likes

Bit harsh to judge tactics in a game like that, corica can’t really change anything in that game except stop attacking and sit back/counter. It is always difficult to get through a parked bus and often the only way is to go wide and cross.

An early goal is absolute key in this scenario then they crumble. I.e. Perth vs Brisbane last night. You don’t get that then you end up like Sydney in the last 2 games.

Le Fondre shouldnt be pushing wide to get the ball. Thats totally on Corica. Hes a genuine in the box goal threat and thats it.

1 Like

Use of pace, better movement etc etc. Thats a shit house excuse.

The whole ‘hit and hope’ cross stuff is total BS, especially when we dont have a big man in the middle, and havent for quite a while.

There were a few comments on here that Reza was a good signing because Alf could go wide more but I dont think thats his strength.

Very worrying lack of ambition and intensity. It seems like they just can’t get motivated against ‘easier’ sides. Very frustrating just seeing us turn the ball back so often when we have the chance to go forward. Yes, there may be a chance of turning the ball over, but at least we can build pressure ; instead we turn it back and surprise surprise, the opposition gets their defence set and Redders ends up just booting it for a less than 50/50 chance of picking up some scraps.
Bringing on Calver as a poor man’s Simon was the final straw… the Mariners were clearing all of our crosses with ease then we try more of the same?!

FWIW, I liked Corica’s presser. What do people want: Babbel’s baying at the moon schtick? He said we played well but failed to score, which was very disappointing. That is the truth. We played lots of wonderful football and totally dominated. Some of the best passing and moving football that I have seen SFC play since inception. It is just rubbish that the team were not trying or keen to score. People in Australia need to learn to read a football game on its own merits rather than just looking at the scoreboard and making a judgement based on the scoreline (it’s not AFL or RL where the dominant team always wins).

That said, after the last couple of weeks, it would seem that Corica needs to think about getting the boys to move the ball from MF to attack much faster - trusting Alf, Reza an Ninko to take and hold the ball even when shadowed. That was the huge difference Adrian made - he demanded the ball to his feet and then proved he could be trusted to hold and use it well. We seem to have lost that confidence. We also need to shoot more from distance. After half time, Kennedy was staring into the sun and could barely see (hand over eyes all the time). Why not have an early crack from 20 metres (like Aiden O’Neill did) rather than trying to always wall-pass it into the net? I was thinking that the boys should have seen Logarzo yesterday!

1 Like

And are some Sydney FC fans some of the most ignorant and egocentric I have come across - booing their own team and SCREAMING insults and stupid suggestions - get stuck in!!!, hit it forward!! - all the time. As an Australian and having watched professional football in four other countries, some of our fans are an embarrassment to themselves and the game here. I wish they would chant and sing more if they need to exercise their vocal chords so badly.

I’m overseas for a while and so have been watching the results and Forum each week on the Internet. I am totally peed off with the Boys’ performances. For me the bottom line rests solely with SC. We have all seen what Poppa and Rudan have done this season. Overseas we’ve seen what a difference OGS has made at Man U. All the BS about us being the biggest A-League club, big-noting ourselves, signing all these ‘brilliant’ foreign players comes to absolutely nothing if the Coach is not up to scratch. We are the Defending Premiers and going backwards with a whimper. Where is the on-field Leadership revving up the Boys and showing us Supporters some Passion and Pride? Roll on next season for me. Oh sorry, did someone say we’re going to win the ACL?

Unfortunately it is these “ignorant and egocentric” Aussies who we need to entice to watch our game as the pool of viewers who are happy to watch a team “dominate” for 90 mins without getting a shot off is fairly limited.

I really hope those were just Stevies public comments and behind closed doors he is fuming at our inability to takes points from 2 of the worst teams in the comp and go clear at 2nd.

1 Like

I almost lost it at some dickheads sitting in front of us, we were just to the left and behind the players box. Ufuk Taley was screaming at some of our players to push up etc and the dickheads had the balls to shut up and sit down. Only thing that stopped me from saying something was my two year old nephew sitting with me.

Interestingly enough, throughout the whole second half, the coaching staff was shouting to the players to take more shots as their keeper “couldn’t see shit.”

Some positives from the game, the link up between Ninko and Alf was pure sex at times. They have an amazing understanding with each other, just need to do it more centrally rather than out wide.

Ivanovic still looking the goods and can see him becoming an awesome player for us.

Thought we lifted in the second half to push forwards but it’s hard against a team that was so ready to park the bus. I mean their keeper was wasting time every time he got the ball from the start.

Biggest negative, i’m still trying to figure out if i’m hungover or i’m feeling the start of the after effects of grabbing one of the hotdogs from the guy outside the stadium on the way to rozelle…

Player ratings are in. Ninko best of the bunch.

Agree with the scores?

SYDNEY FC vs CCM Plater Ratings