Round 21 - Western Sydney vs Sydney FC - 1/5/21

Yeah, obviously not a great number but like you said, somewhat acceptable. Fifteen thousand at their world-class home is another matter.

Iā€™m so confident that I will guarantee that we will see that score line at some stage throughout the game.

2 Likes

It seems that the writing is on the wall for ABJ and his time here, Soni really hope he can leave with a derby win.

Iā€™ve never understood that whole concept. At the very most, people will go for a single game to check out the new stadium. After that, whatā€™s the point? People go to stadiums to see teams, they donā€™t go to stadiums to see stadiums. Thereā€™s European teams playing out of absolute shitholes that are raking in decent and regular supportā€¦

1 Like

I can explain this in 3 stages

1 - Because they had loads of members, 1/3 of whom didnā€™t bother to show up except for derbies, they thought a bigger stadium would mean even more mmembers

2 - When they moved to spotless during the stadium build, memberships and attendance cratered, they wronly assumed it was because Spotless was a shithole and not in Parra. They completely failed to take account of their shit performance, the end of the ā€˜shiny new thingā€™ phase and more than half their regular audience getting out of the habit of going to the game every week.

3 - Their crowds have not changed much since spotless because theyā€™re still shit, the RBB have essentially given up trying, and the club has offered no good reason for people to go back.

I think weā€™ll face issues with re-engaging with fans who have lost the habit, but weā€™ve been far from shit and the cove has been solid all the way through, so we should see a moderate bump when we go back to SFS and a steady growth if we continue to be successful.

5 Likes

You failed to add the RBB would have more than likely driven some families away with all of their antics

1 Like

Covid has got me out of the habit of going to games. I am sure it has for others as well.

3 Likes

WSW needed another 10 years at least building the FOMO before they did what they did with the stadiums.

Personally, I think they should never have messed with that stadium.

100% agree, as has the lack of the SFS.

I cannot wait for us to return home

Bossi reporting that the crowd is expected to be over 22,000

This season may not be directly affected by Covid limiting numbers but has been indirectly affected in the scheduling which has seen huge numbers of midweek games, great and continuing uncertainty around fixtures, and a very compressed calendar where the games are coming at you thick and fast, and often clashing with our own football commitments.

There have been plenty of cases even on this forum devoted primarily to discuss SFC and the A-League, where people were surprised thereā€™s a game on in the evening, featuring our own club. These are dedicated signed-up members. Imagine then if you support Wests and going along involves your shit show of a team pissing on you with disdain.

Personally, our family used to miss 1-2 out of our usual 13-14 home matches per season, but this season weā€™ve probably made around half because the midweek-heavy schedule is a total shit for students who already have their own training, homework etc.

Given all of that, I think the continuing low attendances are pretty understandable and we can accept that it wonā€™t get better this season. Problem is, as you and others pointed out above, if not going becomes a habit.

Iā€™ve whinged on here a few times about games clashing with our own football commitments, but I havenā€™t seen too many others do so. Is it just us that find itā€™s making us miss games? It bodes really badly in the unlikely event that we do end up going to a winter season.

Low crowds this season come from:

1. Piss poor advertising
  2. Mid week games
  3. People still being hesitant to go to events with large crowds

1 and 2 are easily solvable. 3, will hang around for a year after the world returns to a semblance of normal. At the end of the day, people have had it drilled into them to stay 1.5m away from each other, avoid crowds and stay at home, for the past 1.5 years. The social anxiety that stems from this, will take a while to fade and return back to pre-covid levels .

3 Likes

Is it just us, or have NRL/AFL crowds been affected the same way in terms of Covid, granted they have better coverage and advertising of their sports.

Pretty much this and Iā€™d throw in that i suspect a lot of people havenā€™t bought memberships or those flexi memberships because when the season started we genuinely had no idea if it was going to be possible to attend most games and itā€™s only rusted on people like most of the people here who were willing to take a gamble or just financially support the club regardless.

No alarm bells around crowds are ringing for me this season, Iā€™m waiting to see what next season looks like from that perspective.

1 Like

My understanding is thereā€™s been a drop off there too, just not as dramatic as A-League has been.

comparing 2019 to 2021, thereā€™s a decrease in an average of 2000 per game from approx 14K down to 12K. AFL and NRL have the added benefit of mainstream media support with high rates of advertising. The AFL average will be affected as well, by the huge ANZAC day crowd down in Melbourne that was 70K from memory last weekend.

A-league is also affected by poor management and stagnation in growth, followed by double standards by Police etc. It came out that Police were preventing A-League supporter groups from standing and singing when restrictions were lifted, and then allowing the exact same thing at NRL/AFL games.

Pretty sure Iā€™ve whinged about this on here somewhere. In the last 3 or 4 weeks Iā€™ve missed playing a game to go to Gosford, arrived at Leichhardt at almost half time after finishing my game, missed Victory at home to train and will have to Uber to parra this weekend as Iā€™ve got a late kick off. Totally understand some of my mates saying fuck this and just not attending matches any more.

/whinge

2 Likes

I think to an extent the NRL have the same issue. I feel that crowd numbers for Souths games are down (we had a sub 10k home crowd this season) and I just did a quick calculation and NRL crowds are down compared to the same stage in 2019 (12,959 v 16,151).

And to take this thread totally off topic this kind of thing will be a bigger issue if the A-League ever moves to winter.

If it moved to winter weā€™d almost certainly have to revisit how scheduling works, because aligning with grassroots is half the point. In particular I think the staggered fixture schedule where we never have concurrent games would have to go, so that particularly Saturday afternoon games arenā€™t a thing during local comp season, and evening fixtures are back to like 7.45 or whatever.