Round 21 - Western Sydney vs Sydney FC - 1/5/21

Yeah I had that feeling too, but wasn’t sure it’s just me being a lightweight. A couple of weeks ago, I was at Mackey Park at 830AM, Majors Bay Reserve at Concord at 2 in the afternoon and watching SFC at Leichhardt in the evening. Combine with Sydney weekend traffic and it was exhausting for something which at the end of the day is actually meant to be an enjoyable interest.

1 Like

Don’t think you’re being a lightweight.

With the scheduling can’t have all the games at night due to TV coverage so you’d have to have games during the day which means people will miss out because they are playing or watching their kids play. From a personal view it will probably mean I would see less Dully games due to scheduling clashes.

That’s going to be a hard sell for whichever organisations picks up the next broadcast/streaming rights.

Winter A-League is a pipe dream, I wonder if people who want it have actually thought it through. Any positives are outweighed by massive negatives. I hope it never happens (and realistically don’t think it ever will anyway).

3 Likes

It’s pretty much just me that wants winter isn’t it?

I’m for moving the season in a lot of respects, but what will it do to the already limited column inches and airtime football gets in the mainstream media?

Directly going up against NRL and AFL could kill football - or at least kill its growth.

1 Like

Its interesting to note that NRL and AFL generally don’t have the same problems with games clashing with fans who are themselves sports participants. There aren’t a heap of blokes in their 30s & 40s running around playing amateur rugby league or Aussie rules on any given winter weekend.

I do think we’d be better suited to staying with a summer comp for a variety of reasons.

2 Likes

No, most of my mates want a winter comp, but as with most things it’s only those who are against something who speak out.

The quality of the football this season has been fantastic, and most of that is to do with the weather and the conditions the games are played in. Who wants to watch blokes running around in 40degree heat, having drinks breaks and letting the opposition pass the ball around pointlessly so everyone can have a rest during the game. Makes no sense to want that.

I also don’t understand why people are concerned about exposure against the other codes. When we play in summer and there are no other codes we still don’t get any exposure!

5 Likes
  • competing for stadiums
  • competing for attendances
  • playing on worse pitches
  • more midweek games because of stadium availability
  • more conflicts with people playing/having kids playing/training
  • it’s colder in the stands whereas in summer people are happy to go and drink beers when it’s warm and have a good time, attendances and atmosphere will suffer because of this
  • TV rights deals will be lower
  • it’s only very hot in mid-summer and this can be catered for with later kick-offs during that period, hell even do a ‘summer of football’ where from late December to end of Jan (i.e. school holidays) there’s a game every night at 7:30pm. If it’s a decently long season then only 20-30% of the fixtures would be played in Summer either way.

Anyway sorry to be a part of thread derailing but there are just so many negatives to playing in Winter I can’t help myself. I think moving to Winter will be the death knell for the league, it will hurt it possibly beyond recovery and slowly wane until it’s all over and avg attendance is 2k.

2 Likes

You’ve all forgotten the important shit.

hilly can do holiday shit in the holidays without missing games!

I’d probably be fine with summer if we took 2-3 weeks from Christmas off.

Time to adopt the apertura / clausura method, it makes perfect sense if you read the following like it’s an infomercial:

Avoid peak summer / winter games.
Mid-season international break while other codes are in full swing (we would start before them and finish after them, still achieving clean air when most effective).
Like a proper football country, innit.
Aligned with AFC calendar years.
Won’t entirely overlap with grassroots seasons.
Potential to still please nobody while trying to please everybody.

2 Likes

Also it’s still hot as shit at 9pm in Perth in summer.

3 Likes

We must be super pumped about the derby from reading this thread

2 Likes

Zullo out again, haha we might as well change his name to “calf 1 week”.

Niewenhof is out again, lol how does a teenager have back problems.

Derby crowds aren’t as big as they used to be innit?

Big game, we really need the three points.

Something about peaches being blasted.

That about covers it right? Back to winter football debate!!

1 Like

We’re going to dominate the game but draw or lose, nothing much else to discuss.

2 Likes

Is the Hoff’s back problem legit? Or very thinly veiled cover for “we don’t want him injured while we work on his transfer”?

I was trying to work something like this out a while back, this is really well done. I could really get behind this actually - football played almost all year long, breaks for the FFA Cup, FIFA international windows and a break for the finals of the other codes. The Bundesliga has a winter break, so don’t see why we can’t.

I think a winter comp is best for the long term, but I had thought that a switch would really hamper the A-League in the short to medium term. I do think that a schedule like this could really work without impacting too much in the short term.

I got fancy tickets! I’m pumped!

1 Like

Back injuries can be hard to prove/disprove.
It’s possible that it’s Nieuwenhof who’s saying he’s injured, not the club. It wouldn’t be the first time an agent has suggested something like this in order to protect a prospective transfer.