Round 24 - Sydney FC vs Melbourne - 6/4/19

I get that we need to nurse Siem back but it kind of needs to be balanced with the acceptance that we had next to nothing in attack against a terrible Brisbane side last week. Is our plan to keep it to 0-0 all until we bring some attack on after 60?

That WAS supposed to be Brosque at the start of the season yeah?

From last weeks lineup, I would bring De Jong in for Caceres, Brillante in for Retre and Reza in for Brosque.

If De Jong and Reza are still lacking a bit of match fitness, bring in Retre and Brosque at the 60 or 70 minute mark.

Agree with others though. This is a big match in virtually guaranteeing us second and keeping us within earshot of Perth. We need to be going all out and starting our strongest XI.

Hoping we don’t see a fan boycott like at the Roosters game last night. This is a huge match and we need to get behind the team regardless of the venue.

Nah mate, we’re not NWSW. We’ll turn up.

2 Likes

That WAS supposed to be Brosque at the start of the season yeah?

Yep.

Fucking hell that’s atrocious. Let’s hope we don’t play there next season.

Yeah, looks pretty bad. 20k full house at Kogarah is much more appealing. That photo was from yesterday, I’m hoping it’s slightly better tomorrow, but not holding my breath.

Shame that Daley won’t get the chance to sack the SCGT board. The level of respect we get is atrocious.

I’ve put the match preview up on the front page:

I believe we will line up as follows:

You can find information on The Cove’s pre-drinks here:

Previous Matches

Head-to-Head

Wins: 15 (31.3%)

Draws: 17 (35.4%)

Losses: 16 (33.3%)

Sydney FC record at Sydney Cricket Ground

Wins: 1 (100%)

Draws: 0 (0%)

Losses: 0 (0%)

Last 5 Matches

26/01/19 – Melbourne 2 – 1 Sydney FC

25/11/18 – Sydney FC 1 – 2 Melbourne

28/04/18 – Sydney FC 2 – 3 Melbourne

13/04/18 – Sydney FC 1 – 0 Melbourne

26/01/18 – Melbourne 1 – 3 Sydney FC

Records

Biggest Win – 5 goals:

26/01/14 – Melbourne 0 – 5 Sydney FC

Biggest Loss – 5 goals:

16/10/05 – Melbourne 5 – 0 Sydney FC

Most Goals in a Game – 6 goals:

7/08/10 – Sydney FC 3 – 3 Melbourne

13/12/14 – Melbourne 3 – 3 Sydney FC

14/02/15 – Sydney FC 3 – 3 Melbourne

14/11/15 – Sydney FC 2 – 4 Melbourne

Most Appearances vs Victory – Alex Brosque (29)*

Most Goals vs Victory – David Carney and Mark Bridge (5)

Key Statistics

• Out of 22 home games against Melbourne, Sydney FC have a record of 8 wins, 9 draws and 5 losses.
  • The game against Brisbane Roar was Milos Ninkovic’s 100th league game for the club and Paulo Retre ’s 50th competitive game for the club.
  • Sydney FC have scored in each of the last 11 matches against Melbourne.
  • Alex Brosque has 4 goals against Melbourne, but he hasn’t scored against them since November 2015.

Note: Appearances and goals only include league games, finals, FFA Cup, OFC and AFC Champions League and Club World Cup.

2 Likes

your suggested right side of MF (Retre and Caceres) has very little mongrel or game-opening creativity. Means leaving too much of both to Grant.

No they’re not going to make any magic, but quick, sharp passing with good off-the-ball movement can still create openings, which is where Grant will come into his own.

That’s not a boycott, just a regular Roosters’ crowd :wink:

4 Likes

Yeah, I was taking the piss :grin:

1 Like

Great read from Bossi, even if I do feel that for a lot of long-term fans this is also the biggest game, and Corica manages to crowbar in a swipe at NWSW:

“I think this rivalry has been from the start of the A-League whereas the Wanderers have just come in,” Corica said. “I have been here from the start and Melbourne and Sydney has always been a big rivalry, a big derby game before the Wanderers came into the league and it hasn’t changed.”

If the derby is so important, why havent I ye decided if I will go?

I’ve got a single silver ticket (bay 403, row T) if anyone wants it. I’ve had too many early starts this week and I can’t face driving home at 1030/1100pm. Message me if you want him.

I think the issue with the derby if we’ve been great when theyve been shit and we’ve been shit when theyve been good. If we get a few matches deciding titles or in the finals that’ll give some authenticity to the derby.

Like last few seasons, yes.