Round 3 - Western Sydney vs Sydney FC - 26/10/2019

I’ll say Baccus for a foul on ABJ.

From the A-League website

Lopar really isn’t. In probably 4 games of theirs I’ve seen through FFA Cup & HAL he’s been genuinely scared of the ball from close range, spilled a simple ground ball trying to stop a corner which resulted in a City tap in, spilled another routine ball hit straight at his stomach, and inadvertently punched a ball backwards over his own crossbar when trying to send it the opposite way.

That last one was a classic with Bozza complimenting him on it… I SWEAR he did not intend it to go that way at all (in the CCM game). I’ve probably jinxed it and he’ll have a blinder Sat now, but by seasons end he’ll be found out big time.

Well hopefully your observations are right. I’d love for them to have 4 keepers on their books none of whom are good enough.

The record is three - starting with the 5-4 Gosford game (Vukovic and Kwasnik), then away against Adelaide (Cornthwaite) and Wellington (Aloisi). All four were straight reds as well.

There have been — apart from this season — three other times with reds to the opposition in 2 consecutive matches. One of them was actually just a month before the above three-match streak: there were eight red cards (two to SFC) in seven matches between Nov 2007 – Jan 2008.

9 Likes

Love your work.

Ross Aloisi getting a straight red after coming on in the 82nd in that Wellington match no less :joy:

Meier unlucky to miss out? I’m afraid Wanderers will actually have a goal scorer this season (though as I type this, Riera was alright, I suppose).

edit: Riera scored a few more than I remembered. 25 in 49 matches, not too shabby.

Can’t bloody wait for this one ladssss. Although WSW midfield does concern me - especially as wellington were able to find so much space last week behind brannerz and brattan. Really think we should try and hit them on the counter as that is where we have looked most dangerous this season. Push ABJ into midfield and play a 4-3-3 with Kosta on the wing and let wsw have the ball. Stevie will obviously stick with the 4-2-2-2 but I can always dream

3 Likes

Slightly nervous about this. They are playing better now than in recent years - much of that due to Jurman.

I haven’t lost any interest in the derby, even when we were winning. These cockroaches continue to piss me off and I want to stomp on them game after game no matter how long its been since they beat us.

And the arrogance they are already displaying after 2 wins is just laughable. A lucky win against Wellington and a win against possibly the worst MV team in history and suddenly they think they’re champions-elect.

And yes they honestly believe they got 17k to their first home game despite barely 40% of seats being occupied and a half-empty RBB. Delusional.

I want to crush them again this weekend. But yes it will be a hard game.

5 Likes

101-103 and 201-203 I believe for the away section. Plenty of Sydney fans are buying right along that edge though from what I have seen.

1 Like

It’s amazing how much of an annual scorched earth culture Poppa ingrained into that club. I read an article where Duke (who is looking the goods by the way) delivered the old chestnut about suffering being away from their home after 3 years in exile. Clearly he and the rest of the squad are very averse to suffering, because not a single one of them played at Parramatta for them and then suffered through the painful Spotless years.

Only Elrich previously played a senior game for them at Parramatta. And then he ended up spending most of diaspora years playing for Adelaide. Maybe some of their younger players may have been there as juniors, but everyone else nah.

But for all our relatively stable squads in recent years, we don’t have a huge amount left from that mugging at the last Pirtek derby. With Brosque retired, the only players on either squad who previously played a derby there are:

• Milos
  • Branners
  • Grant
  • Jurman (for Sydney)
  • Vedran (for Sydney)
  • Elrich (prior to leaving at the end of Wests first season)

Schwegler, Baccus and Sullivan? I’ll take our chances with the box 4 against that.

Retre should keep Adam or Yeboah quiet enough, the only danger will be them trying to get Duke behind Grant on the other side.

1 Like

So keen for this one. Much as I despise Western Suburbs, in a way it’s good that they look somewhat like they have their shit together this year. Will make stomping them even more satisfying.

ALF to grab a double.

First derby I’ve ever missed. Heartbroken. All I want is for Baumjohann to play a 10/10 and/or score a worldie.

Hard to tip this one. Really hard. Go with a 1-1 for now. I genuinely feel what may end up winning this is our depth and how good our subs are. Caceres isn’t as direct impact as a Carney or Simon but he’s a smart player to bring on.

Agree, it’s like every time we beat them i want to beat them even more the next time, i’ll never get sick of us winning this fixture. It really brings me a deep sense of joy and satisfaction watching them lose, and watching us win, and doing it in the same fixture gives it a sort of multiplier effect.

5 Likes

Wanderers really aren’t as good as everyone is making them out to be in my opinion. They’ve definitely improved their squad but its nowhere near the level of ours, maybe 2 of their players would make our starting 11. In terms of form they’ve beaten Central Coast and a completely new/weaker victory side with a new manager. They definitely look better than previous years, not that that would be that hard but they’ve hardly been impressive. We have too much big game experience and quality for them.

3 Likes

The problem I see is that we’re no way near as good as we should be based on our player roster (yet). I think this derby is their best chance at getting one over us. The two derbies later in the season will be harder for them I’d say, as we’d be more settled and the quality of all of our squad will really take hold.

I’m going to the game accepting the fact that we may not walk away with 3 points. I’d absolutely love to beat them in their new stadium though and I’m really hoping we do. God I love the derbies.

Feel like this is the type of game Baumjohann either gets a straight red for a horror tackle within 10 minutes or he scores a brace and lays on three assists

4 Likes

The atmosphere should be quite nice,probably a draw or perhaps a 1-0 to the team that gets the fortunate decision/bounce.

The previous 2 rounds mean nothing,THIS is the first derby @ BW!

Its a big game and we can expect a big game player to rise and make the difference.

bratten SCREAMER!

Fuck I wanna win this one. Right in their new stadium too. 4 nil up in the 70th minute and watching the worlds best fans leave their new stadium in droves.

BRING. IT. ON.

4 Likes