Round 4 - Newcastle vs Sydney - 10/11/18

Match Preview

Last season Newcastle were the team who came closest to robbing us of taking out the league title, but this season the Jets look like a shadow of what they were. They sit in a somewhat familiar place for them, on the bottom of the table with only a point from their first three games. Their squad looks fairly similar, however, and so it is a mystery why they have fallen so far off the pace. Vargas and Petratos have looked threatening at times, both netting a goal, but otherwise they have seemed fairly toothless up front with Brazilian import Jair yet to get on the scoresheet.

Meanwhile, Sydney looked their usual dominant selves against Melbourne City, scoring three times and constantly piling the pressure on. Le Fondre ’s superb start to the season rolled on, Zullo and Grant provided great options out wide and Ninkovic was his usual masterful self. Meanwhile Retre played probably the best game of his career to this point, causing all sorts of trouble and getting on the scoresheet from his new position as a right winger. This time around, Sydney will also not be dealing with the short turn-over of two league games and a cup final in the space of a week.

It is hard to see Corica making any changes given how successful the squad was last time out, so my predicted line-up is:

You can find details about the Cove Express here:

Previous Matches

Head-to-Head

Wins: 25 (61%)

Draws: 9 (22%)

Losses: 7 (17.1%)

Sydney FC record at McDonald Jones Stadium

Wins: 12 (60%)

Draws: 4 (20%)

Losses: 4 (20%)

Previous Meeting

3/03/18 – Newcastle 2 – 1 Sydney FC:

A crazy game, with O’Donovan’s red card, Petratos causing havoc and a classic Bobo header.

Last 5 Matches

3/03/18 – Newcastle 2 – 1 Sydney FC

3/01/18 – Sydney FC 2 – 2 Newcastle

18/11/17 – Sydney FC 2 – 1 Newcastle

15/04/17 – Sydney FC 2 – 0 Newcastle

4/12/16 – Newcastle 0 – 2 Sydney FC

Records

Biggest Win – 4 goals:

25/01/09 – Sydney FC 4 – 0 Newcastle

Biggest Loss – 3 goals:

5/02/12 – Sydney FC 2 – 5 Newcastle

Most Goals in a Game – 7 goals:

5/02/12 – Sydney FC 2 – 5 Newcastle

17/04/15 – Newcastle 3 – 4 Sydney FC

Most Appearances vs Newcastle – Alex Brosque (25)*

Most Goals vs Newcastle – Alex Brosque (12)*

Key Statistics

• Sydney have a 61% win rate against Newcastle in competitive fixtures, which is higher than any other team in the A-League.
  • Sydney have scored against Newcastle in each of the last 11 fixtures, going back to 6/03/15.
  • Adam Le Fondre now has 7 goals in 6 competitive games. This is equal to Brett Emerton (57 games), Karol Kisel (52 games) and Terry McFlynn (191 games).
  • Alex Wilkinson played his 75th competitive fixture against Melbourne City. He is the 21st player to reach this milestone.

Note: Appearances and goals include league games, finals, FFA Cup, OFC and AFC Champions League and Club World Cup.

6 Likes

So this is my first time doing this preview style on the new software - let me know if it looks okay, or if there is anything in particular you want me to add in future previews. Also, as always, let me know if you spot any errors.

1 Like

Best away trip of the year.

2 Likes

I don’t think we should underestimate them. Although they haven’t shown the class they showed last season, they put up a fight against a very good Adelaide team and lost a tight affair against victory. I think they’ll end up around 5th or 6th this season and put up a fight against us.

Last season nabbout and Champness both had a big impact at the jets. I don’t think they’ve adequately covered those losses. Jets have looked decent, but we can surely nullify whatever threats they have.

I’m sure we will go with the same starting line up, especially with a break coming up for international matches.

Jets weren’t too bad against the Victory, but it was a strange game of football and both teams were full of errors.

Not sold on Jair just yet, but it would be like Sydney FC to help a player break their duck.

I still think we beat them 3-1.

Don’t forget Vujica, who was a beast for them (until getting injured) last year, and has hardly been seen this year.

Come on lads, get behind the boys in blue this weekend and head up to Newcastle. Away bay is looking very empty…

Sydney FC members receive a 25% discount. Check your emails.

Any suggestions for watching the game in Fiji?

Foxtel app doesn’t work as not in Australia and there is limited sports channels on tv.

Guessing a stream is my best option. Anyone know if a-league is broadcast here and if so on what channel?

Check the My Football YouTube channel. I’m pretty sure you can watch it there.

Also this thread:
https://forum.sfcu.com.au/t/a-league-streaming-thread/342/2

1 Like

Happened to be on the site so I thought I’d paste an update. Not a great deal of movement.

Newcastle away is awesome, if you’ve never done it before, seriously consider it!

I’m guessing the fact it is 7:50 instead of the usual 5:30 start is discouraging some people.

1 Like

Yeah, makes sense.

Agree with himmelblau. Went to my first ever away game at Newy late last season. So much fun!

1 Like

Ins and outs here, no changes:

Did we know De Jong was 5 weeks away before this week?

I thought he wasn’t due back till mid-Jan, mid-dec is good news

Last week they had him down as 6 weeks, so yeah I guess. Although I suspect that as we get closer, they might tack on a week or two.

Looks like ~100 in the Sydney end. I know it’s a 7.50pm k/off however we’re top of the league, it’s a Saturday and as others have said a great away trip. Would be great to see more support for our boys this weekend!

yep, 5.30 we would’ve been there with the family. Good for a day trip