Round 4 - Newcastle vs Sydney - 10/11/18

Those ratings are harsh. Ninkovic still has some fine moments but an average game from him. At least a 6/6.5

Retre was solid in defence and didn’t waste much in attack he just tweet got the ball in good attaxking positions which speaks to what a midfield battle the game was.

1 Like

Redders I thought had an off game. Not for the goal but his distribution was very poor.

TBH was an off night for most of the team. Feel for Charles missing the goal but he had fresh legs and didn’t do any pressing from the front whatsoever when he came on. Done for me.

Yeah you’re probably right on Ninkovic, I guess I have just come to expect more from him.

In the warm up they use imaginary flags. Maybe he was still using it?

1 Like

I noticed this as well. More pressing from a knackered Brosque.

Crap result but there is one positive. The debate about Charles is now pretty much settled. He’s not good enough.

Hilarious that people whinge about us not producing youth, but are clamouring to write off a player that’s played less than 120 minutes in the a league. Never change sfcu

Not really. We’ve seen the difference in many youth players coming up and taking their chances and impressing with the limited time they get to play. Off the top of my head, Grant, Ryall and Antonis are three youth players that played their arses off and impressed. They would have had similar starts to what Charles is getting yet the difference is that they took all the chances that were given to them, while Charles is failing.
Edit: Throw in Petratos and Gersbach

Ryall was signed from another a league club, Grant was raw as fuck and ran around a lot, petratos was rubbish until he’d been at Brisbane for a year. So realistically that’s antonis (who’s already had a move to Everton denied by fifa) and gersbach? 2 players in 14 years

Grant was pretty terrible for ages. He put in some absolute stinkers in the Farina era. I remember many, myself included, writing him off as NPL level.

If you wanted to clutch at straws you could say Chianese has done well for Perth and Calvers a squaddie for us.

Devlin looked great and impressed more and has played way less than Charles. That’s the type of performance I would expect from a youngster off the bench.

Charles continues to look uninterested. I don’t hold him accountable for the loss on the weekend, it was one chance of which he’s had precious few and we should have scored more earlier. But he just doesn’t have the energy and drive for a youngster coming off the bench wanting to impress.

1 Like

People still claim Sainsbury isnt interested or driven enough. I think Charles just has a very laid back demeanour. I still would have loved Charles to get a start in an FFA cup game to properly get into a game. Hes here for the season and Ill still hope he changes our minds and puts them away once he gets off the mark

2 Likes

Jurman played NYL for us right? I know he also took a while to get to his recent levels but it’s unrealistic to expect everyone to be brilliant day one.

Jurman was routinely labelled as pathetic and many were surprised he got a contract with Roar.

You weren’t watching close enough. :wink:

Grant always had something about him. For a while he played CM in the NYL and was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch, just took a decent run of games in the first team to make the step up. It’s that decent run of games we haven’t afforded to enough youngsters over the years, too often they’re used sparingly, played out of position, or are the first ones scapegoated when results have gone against. Kiki is probably the biggest exception to this, he was given loads of time and chances, and but for his heart issue he could be ripping the Segunda and one of the ones we look to as a youth success having gone on to bigger and better things.

I’ve banged on about it before, but that Suncorp game where Berisha & Bosschaart had handbags (yes that long ago), Grant had an absolute blinder at RB, every bit as good a performance as we’ve come to expect now. But people just glossed over it at the time for whatever reason (Rowdy’s site tells me he was voted only our 4th best that day). That was around his 20th start for us, he only made about the same under Farina before doing his first ACL.

I remember thinking Jurman was very ordinary in his first few appearances for us, but they were at LB under Kossie. Whenever he played CB under Lavicka it was clear he was very solid.

One away game at Newcastle (maybe the one where we reminded Casey Wehrman he had a girls name?) he was absolutely brilliant and most here were clamouring for him to be re-signed. Not long after he left for Brisbane, most here were gutted at the time, the only surprise was going to Ange’s Roarcelona when we all knew distribution wasn’t his strong point.

Yeah, by the time Jurman was signing for Roar he’d played several games in our first-XI and been a clear improvement over the Foxe/Keller/Ryall rotation up to that point.

Anyone who was surprised about Roar’s interest must have missed a few months of A-League.

And a common denominator here is talking about players coming good or having a good performance after getting written off and then getting a string of starts.

1 Like

Also pointing out, Grant had his SFC debut at 18, Antonis 17, Jurman 19, all fairly young ages for players to make a professional debut, Charles is 21 years old, the age where a striker traditionally starts to show their stride. Charles hasn’t really shown much.

The problem is that he doesn’t apply any pressure from the front. Look at Brosque and Le Fondre, they’re running at the opposition when we don’t have the ball, which has been a key part of our game over the last few seasons (bobo did the same). The last 20 minutes is when we need to be doing that the most, and that’s where Simon would come on and trouble the oppositions defenders when they had positon. Charles isn’t applying any pressure at all, he’s just hovering about hoping that someone will get the ball to him, and when he does, he gives it up too easily.

I desperately wanted him to do well. I was really excited when he started getting some game time because I’d heard some great things about his performances in the youth team, but he just hasn’t delivered.

Now queue to him scoring a brace against the tards and kicking off a run of amazing form…

3 Likes