Round 4 - Newcastle vs Sydney - 10/11/18

Give him a full game & I’m personally confident that he’ll deliver. He should be a starter.

As for Saturday there was way too much squandering of possession & way too much sitting back & allowing Newcastle to dominate in the 2nd Half making them look better than what they are.

It’s a difficult one -so he starts, and someone else gets knackered doing his defensive /pressure from the front work for him?
Whatever the reason he hasn’t fired, this is a professional league and clubs don’t have the luxury of time to let someone settle in . Maybe earlier in HAL history, there was some leeway there…but not now.

His purple patch was against NPL2 standard defences. He’s not up to this standard. That’s not being cruel or unfair, it’s being realistic.

Is Charles this year’s George Blackwood?
I see he seems to have faded out of the picture with the Pissants too.

Injured

The thing is, what does Charles offer that is going to be of benefit to the first team? We know he is pretty quick once he gets going, but what else does he have that’s of any benefit at this level?

You’d think that his qualities would be of benefit when we are leading games (you know, using pace to get into space), but he does get given too little time in these situations. I’m really surprised we bothered keeping him if he’s deemed to be only trustworthy enough to play injury time, by successive coaches. Waste of a proper sub for us, and of precious career development for him. End it now.

only question is who do you get for replacement for that type of money?

DO we have other youth forwards that maybe worth investing in?
The reason I say that is because clearly Charles does not have the confidence of the coaching staff in the way that other young attacking players managed to get. Naumoff, Stambolziev, Blackwood all managed to get a fair bit more time (including under Arnie) with which to prove themselves or otherwise. Charles isn’t deemed to be good enough to get 30 minutes ever. Let him go.

1 Like

I’m happy that we’ve found something to goo over

2 Likes

Heh.
I think it’s just reached that point with Charles. I’ve not ever been impressed by his short appearances, but understood that it was always a case of giving him time.
However, what’s now become clear for a 2nd successive coach - and one who already knew the lad well - is that he needs to leave because clearly the staff themselves are not convinced, and if they aren’t, then that’s what matters. I can confidently predict that he will never make it under Corica, and that’s irrespective of whether he ends up carving out a respectable A-League career or not. I mean, we had 3 straight FFAC matches against state league outfits and he got a combined 44 minutes.

I feel like the pre-season was always going to be a tough one for him. You had an influx of key players coming into the team that needed to be integrated in asap, especially Alf, that coupled with Buhagiar absolutely destroying it the moment he came on, meant the Charles was never going to see many minutes, on top of the fact that Corica obviously wanted to hit the ground running and try to retain the FFAC

I think thats making many assumptions on Coricas thoughts. Those FFA Cup games were his first official games in charge and I can understand the fear of not taking any risks. Getting kicked out of the cup would be a calamitous start. Hes also been fighting for a spot with Bobo (in the best ever season for an a-league striker) and ALF (one of the best ever starts to the a-league) and Brosque whos our captain fantastic.

It also harks but to the continual issue amongst a-league squads of who actually has a good bench striker? Victory have Athiu. Glory have Santalab etc

Tilio is the only one close and he is more of an inside forward. He’s also probably a year away from breaking through.

This should be moved to squad spec but anyway;
We could utilise the mature age rookie salary cap concession and sign an NPL striker (Liam Boland?). We could then use the Charlie money to sign Sekiya to give us a wide option until we get Buhagiar’s IR in January.

Bobo was kept on too long in way too many matches where we were comfortably ahead. Then we always brought Simon on anyway.
Basically…there’s always an excuse not to play Charles, so let’s face it, the coaches at our club deep down don’t trust him. Let him go have a proper go at a career.

Honestly I’d rather have Simon coming off the bench than Charles.

1 Like

No, we couldn’t. I’m sure he’d only be on or close to minimum wage anyways, but he’s under contract and not going to walk away for nothing.

Jury is still out imo. Yeah he missed a 1-on-1, it happens. I think it was the right decision to curl far post on his favourite foot, if he lifts that ball another few inches it nestles in the net and people here would be jizzing and expecting the confidence boost to lead to bigger & better.

I do agree he needs to work a lot harder off the ball though. As a younger lad trying to break through he should be chomping at the bit and running around like that mad albino bastard he’s replaced.

Of course. I’m more talking in hindsight/a perfect world.
I would assume a large portion of his wage would be taken up under the Homegrown Player cap allowance anyway but if it wasn’t you would think Sekiya would still take a minimum wage contract in the A-League over being a kitchen hand.

Would you though? Probably get paid more as a kitchen hand than minimum wage in the league

I could be way off mark, but I thought there was some mention of some NPL players (perhaps including him) being on around 150k and preferring that than being on minimum in the HAL. He could be doing the kitchen thing for a bit of side money and for something to do, given he’s not training full time.