Sauce Bottles FC - The Marinators Thread

He was interviewed on the Fox Sports pod on Monday, a good listen actually. This was prior OGS being announced as permanent. He said that for this season, both clubs were happy with the agreement and said that if he was at United with OGS next season, he’d still like to continue with the Mariners in some fashion.

So he probably would be stepping down from his current role at Mariners, but I’d say he’d act as a consultant or something like that and perhaps make the occasional trip over.

I believe that from next season, there will be a two-week break in the calendar for the EPL in January sometime, so who knows, maybe he can make that “occasional trip over”. Phelan would be a really good contact to have for the Mariners, should any United youngsters need game time and somehow won’t get it in England. Or if an older player in the EPL looks as though he could do with a sea-change.

1 Like

I wouldn’t hold my breath about Phelan. He has come over here on a Terrigal holiday, schmoozed a few fan boys, thrown some vanilla, generic talk in interviews, and pissed off back home.

It was clear from interviews that he had no idea what was going on at the Mariners.

Terrible decision to have him as Director of Football. I also doubt that in a down graded consultant position we would get any hand-me-downs from Manchester United.

2 Likes

Yeah that makes sense to me. There seemed to be nothing he brought to the club given how shit things were before he upped and left, and his experience at United (in terms of resourcing, level of football in question etc) is so different to what life is like at the Mariners that he may as well be from another sport. Basically a coaching Usain Bolt.

A coaching Usain Bolt is the perfect analogy. Just like Harry Redknapp before him and his “South Coast Mariners” gaff.

This is the type of shit we have had to put with at the Mariners the last five years.

This is taken from RedKat’s post on the other Mariners thread.

It helps if Mariners didn’t bring in shit coaches in the first place. Stajcic should now get a degree of control over who he has for next season. If Charlesworth actually gets behind him, Mariners could improve quickly and easily. Based on previous evidence, though, Charlesworth will have to somehow be flicked first before Staj gets that support.

Charlesworth ain’t being flicked and more likely to sell the licence, possibly to Canberra, rather than get flicked from the club as owner.

Here’s hoping instead that Staj gets some support with building a team for next year.

I’m fairly sure he’s already stated that he will only sell if the team remains on the Coast.

Yeah, not sure I’d count on that too much anymore.

He definitely hinted at it in January though:

He did. Not sure if he’d stand by that comment now though.

Stajcic signed on till 2022

Amazing.

Great result!!

They kinda fell arse backwards into each other but here’s hoping for a win-win and that he can make them competitive ASAP.

It was a nice backhanded favour done to CCM by the FFA.
Apparently there has been a change in worth ethic in the team, which is still training.
If the recruitment is half decent the team will be competitive.
Forever optimistic.

3 Likes

In retrospect Okon looks to have been your best manager since Arnie. Is that the central coast consensus?

Hope Stajic works out but the fact that there has been no ‘outcome’ (not even sure its possible at this point) to the Matildas saga is worrying. He is either the victim of FFA incompetence/infighting or a flawed manager. Either outcome is deeply concerning considering the Matildas are the most important team in Australian football (in my opinion - get that it is a minority view).

If the culture was that bad and he was abusive or whatever the FFA claimed, then surely the FFA would have reported him to FIFA and stripped him of his qualifications??

I don’t know what happened and i doubt it will ever come out but either possibility is unacceptable:
A) Staj is flawed or worse and still coaching,
B) FFA fired someone for invented reasons.
For what its worth I believe its quite obviously B.

Either way is shameful on the game.

or C) The FFA was happy to push Staj into the next team that needed a manager. A handshake agreement, if you will, to avoid any legal action Staj was considering for his dismissal. Think about it, how much have we heard about impending legal action lately?