Sauce Bottles FC - The Marinators Thread

Got to love they were showing a replay when Roar score

So Mulvey trialled a stack of players. Millar, Murray and Mcdonald got signed. Millar worked, Murray has shown signs & Mcdonald didnt. Any idea who else they looked at?

Canā€™t remember them all but we had around a dozen to fifteen come in at different times during preseason and that includes our own academy players.

So, can we take it that with OGS being appointed by Man United as permanent manager, Mike Phelan will part ways with the Mariners?

Mike Phelan is a true professional so he will step down, Iā€™m sure. Mike Charlesworth, however ā€¦

He was interviewed on the Fox Sports pod on Monday, a good listen actually. This was prior OGS being announced as permanent. He said that for this season, both clubs were happy with the agreement and said that if he was at United with OGS next season, heā€™d still like to continue with the Mariners in some fashion.

So he probably would be stepping down from his current role at Mariners, but Iā€™d say heā€™d act as a consultant or something like that and perhaps make the occasional trip over.

I believe that from next season, there will be a two-week break in the calendar for the EPL in January sometime, so who knows, maybe he can make that ā€œoccasional trip overā€. Phelan would be a really good contact to have for the Mariners, should any United youngsters need game time and somehow wonā€™t get it in England. Or if an older player in the EPL looks as though he could do with a sea-change.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t hold my breath about Phelan. He has come over here on a Terrigal holiday, schmoozed a few fan boys, thrown some vanilla, generic talk in interviews, and pissed off back home.

It was clear from interviews that he had no idea what was going on at the Mariners.

Terrible decision to have him as Director of Football. I also doubt that in a down graded consultant position we would get any hand-me-downs from Manchester United.

2 Likes

Yeah that makes sense to me. There seemed to be nothing he brought to the club given how shit things were before he upped and left, and his experience at United (in terms of resourcing, level of football in question etc) is so different to what life is like at the Mariners that he may as well be from another sport. Basically a coaching Usain Bolt.

A coaching Usain Bolt is the perfect analogy. Just like Harry Redknapp before him and his ā€œSouth Coast Marinersā€ gaff.

This is the type of shit we have had to put with at the Mariners the last five years.

This is taken from RedKatā€™s post on the other Mariners thread.

It helps if Mariners didnā€™t bring in shit coaches in the first place. Stajcic should now get a degree of control over who he has for next season. If Charlesworth actually gets behind him, Mariners could improve quickly and easily. Based on previous evidence, though, Charlesworth will have to somehow be flicked first before Staj gets that support.

Charlesworth ainā€™t being flicked and more likely to sell the licence, possibly to Canberra, rather than get flicked from the club as owner.

Hereā€™s hoping instead that Staj gets some support with building a team for next year.

Iā€™m fairly sure heā€™s already stated that he will only sell if the team remains on the Coast.

Yeah, not sure Iā€™d count on that too much anymore.

He definitely hinted at it in January though:

He did. Not sure if heā€™d stand by that comment now though.

Stajcic signed on till 2022

Amazing.

Great result!!

They kinda fell arse backwards into each other but hereā€™s hoping for a win-win and that he can make them competitive ASAP.